Inverness and Ross-shire Railway

Introduction

This line is open. It ran from Inverness to Bonar Bridge before being extended north by several companies. Passenger services are provided by ScotRail from Inverness to Thurso and Wick. This line was the first in the chain of lines now known as the Far North Line.

The line is supported and promoted by the Friends of the Far North Line .



Dates

03/07/1860[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway Act received; line to be built from Inverness to Invergordon. Engineer : Joseph Mitchell. Contractor (Inverness to Dingwall) : Meakin.
19/09/1860[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
First sod cut.
  /03/1861[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Dingwall to Invergordon contract awarded to MacDonald & Grieve.
  /12/1861[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Keystone of the Ness Viaduct inserted by Miss Mitchell, the engineer's daughter.
  /  /1862[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Invergordon station built to Joseph Mitchells plans
11/06/1862[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Inverness to Dingwall opened. (Connection made from Harbour line to new platforms in Inverness station, new railway makes connection with the Harbour line. The Harbour line is renamed the Rose Street Curve).
30/06/1862Inverness and Ross-shire RailwayInverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway absorbed by Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
25/03/1863[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Dingwall to Invergordon opened.
11/05/1863[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Ross-shire Extension Act passed authorising Invergordon to Bonar Bridge.
  /  /1864[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Clunes opened.
01/06/1864[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Invergordon to Meikle Ferry opened.
01/10/1864[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Meikle Ferry to Bonar Bridge opened.
  /  /1869[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Parkhill renamed Kildary to save confusion with Parkhill on the [Formartine and Buchan Railway].
  /  /1869[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Clachnaharry station opened.
  /  /1869[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Meikle Ferry station closed.
  /  /1901[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Line between Clachnaharry and Lentran doubled.
  /  /1909[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge installed.
  /  /1911[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Loop installed at Conon.
  /  /1913[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Clachnaharry station closed.
  /11/1922[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Muir of Ords station buildings burn down.
  /  /1924[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Gauntleted junction at Clachnaharry station replaced by a turnout slightly further north.
13/06/1960[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Beauly station closed.
13/06/1960[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Alness station closed.
07/05/1973[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Alness station re-opened.
  /  /1986[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Invergordon Aluminium Works sidings closed.
07/02/1989[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Ness Viaduct, Inverness, collapses, separating the Thurso, Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh lines from the rest of the network. Dingwall becomes a terminus, Muir of Ord becomes a train maintenance depot and buses operate between Inverness and Dingwall while a new bridge is built.
  /  /2002[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Beauly station re-opened.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

Inverness

This is a terminus for services to and from locations to the south such as Glasgow Queen Street High Level, Edinburgh Waverley and London, and locations north and west such as Kyle of Lochalsh, Thurso and Wick.
...

More

Clachnaharry Swing Bridge

This 42 ft girder bridge is painted white to reduce expansion in sunny weather.
...

More

Clachnaharry

This station was west of Clachnaharry Swing Bridge....

More

Bunchrew

This was, latterly, a two platform station. For much of its existence it was a single platform with a siding at the east end.
...

More

Lentran

This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a goods yard at the west end, served from the west.
...

More

Clunes

This was a two platform station with the main building on the westbound platform. For much of its existence it was a single platform station until the line was doubled to the east.
...

More

Beauly Viaduct

This is a single track girder viaduct over the River Beauly.
...

More

Beauly

This station is in the south of the town of Beauly. It has a very short platform. It was formerly a two platform station. The new platform uses a short section of the former northbound platform.
...

More

Muir of Ord

This is a two platform station. The main station building was on the down (northbound) platform.
...

More

Conon Bridge

Conon was a single platform station until the line was doubled in 1911 and closed in 1960.
...

More

Conon Bridge Viaduct

This is a five skew arch masonry viaduct. Each span is 73 ft. Telford's 1809 bridge used to stand alongside....

More

Dingwall

This is a two platform station on the Far North Lines. A café operates in the station building and under the glass canopied platform. Tina's Tearoom
...

More

Foulis

This was a single platform station with the platform to the south of a level crossing and a siding to the north on the west side of the line, approached from the south.
...

More

Evanton

This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building was on the northbound platform. To the north was a goods yard on the west side of the line with a goods shed at the north end of a goods loop.
...

More

Alness

This is a single platform station.
...

More

Invergordon

This is a two platform station with a passing loop. The goods yard, at the west end of the station, south of the line, has been lifted. The station building remains standing....

More

Delny

This was a single platform station. At the north end was a level crossing and to the south a siding approached from the south.
...

More

Kildary

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the northbound platform. There was a loop, the line being single track. There was a goods yard to the south, on the west side of the line, accessed from the south.
...

More

Nigg

This was a single platform station. It was located at a level crossing on the B9175, the road to the Nigg Ferry for Cromarty.
...

More

Fearn

This is a one platform station, the former southbound platform. The loop line is lifted and northbound platform out of use.
...

More

Tain

This is a two platform station with a passing loop and two platforms on the Far North line. The original station building remains, as does a footbridge, and there are goods yards to the north end, on the west side of the line, accessed from the north.
...

More

Meikle Ferry

This was briefly the end of the line, until it was extended to Bonar Bridge (now Ardgay). It closed not long after the line was extended and the ferry route probably lost much traffic when the Sutherland Railway opened in 1868 extending the line to Golspie, after which the ferry was probably...

More

Edderton

This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. There was a goods yard at the north end, on the west side of the line with a siding serving the Balblair Distillery, Balblair Distillery .
...

More

Mid Fearn

This was a short lived station on he line, now long closed. The site was probably on the Fearn Lodge estate....

More

Ardgay

This is a two platform station with a passing loop on the Far North line. The northbound platform retains its station building, now a house, and a goods yard exists to the south, west side of the line, currently in permanent way maintenance use. The station was known, until 1977, by the name of the...

More