Glasgow Queen Street High Level

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Glasgow Queen Street High Level (1842-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Open on the West Highland Line.
Open on the Glasgow to Perth.
Open on the Glasgow to Anniesland via Maryhill.


Description

This is a terminus with seven platforms to the north of George Square in Glasgow. The railway was electrified in 2016.

The station is undergoing a major expansion and renovation (2019). The works will, for the first time in its history, bring the station frontage out into the open alongside George Square.

The station is terminus for services to Oban, Fort William, Mallaig,
Anniesland, Stirling, Dunblane, Perth, Inverness, Dundee,
Aberdeen and Edinburgh Waverley.

Below the station is Glasgow Queen Street Low Level, opened in 1886. Its running lines are a 90 degrees to the main station.

The station is built into the side of a hill, the site of a quarry (Dovanhill Quarry) before opening. It was the western terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

The northern end of the station is within a deep dressed stone lined cutting with Cowlairs Tunnel running northwards beyond. The steep climb is the Cowlairs Incline, up which trains were once hauled by cable powered by steam engine at Cowlairs.

The station has its frontage onto the north side of Glasgow's George Square. Much of the station dates from the major rebuilding between 1877 and 1888 which enlarged the station and provided the roof. This is a glazed tied arch, 450 by 250 feet and 78 feet tall. Under this are the passenger platforms. There was a very small goods yard on the east side, not sufficient for the goods traffic, which led to the opening of Sighthill Goods in 1855.

Many of the alterations to the trainshed and surrounding buildings were made in the 1960s and 1970s. These are now being replaced and an entirely new frontage (2019) built. The roof had a narrow escape in the 1960s when it was to be replaced with platform canopies.

The station's signal box (1881) was located on a gantry over the lines at the station throat. This closed in 1967, replaced by Cowlairs Power Box. The gantry remained in place afterwards until the Buchanan Galleries shopping centre was built at the north end of the station.

The apparent second tunnel bore at the north end of the station to the east of the Cowlairs Tunnel does not lead to a tunnel.

Local

The Buchanan Galleries shopping centre is to the north of the station, overshadowing the entry to the Cowlairs Tunnel.

The North British Hotel was to the east of the station. It became a British Transport Hotel and was sold in 1984. It is now the Millenium Hotel Glasgow .

Glasgow City Council - George Square Webcam


Tags

Station terminus





Dates

28/08/1863Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
Line opened as a single track. Stations at; Bearsden, Milngavie. The line ran from Milngavie to Milngavie Junction (later renamed Westerton Junction) with trains continuing to Glasgow Queen Street High Level until the Glasgow City and District Railway opened after which trains started to serve Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.