This is a three platform station. Dunblane is both a through station for services running north to Perth and a terminus for local services from Glasgow Queen Street High Level, Edinburgh Waverley and Newcraighall.
The main station building, by William Tite, is a two storey with a crow stepped gable and northern single storey wing. Alongside this is another smaller single storey building in the same style. The buildings are in brick but with stonework round windows, doorways etc. Buildings are on the southbound platform.
Immediately to the north was Dunblane Junction where trains to Callander [1st] and later Oban diverged to the west.
The former goods yard is now a park and ride carpark. Until recently a covered Caledonian Railway style lattice footbridge remained here (the bridge is now at Bridge of Dun). This has been replaced with a modern structure with lifts.
Dunblane North signal box, (opened in 1902 when the Doune line was doubled and replacing a previous box) remains open. The South signal box closed in 1955.
Trains terminating here use the outside face of the island platform and then draw forward to the signal box to await the mainline being clear, they then drop back into the main southbound platform. A siding, the remains of the line west, is at Dunblane Junction. The branch was reduced to a single track in 1955 and closed in 1965 (a short part retained for Springbank Mill Siding until 1966).
To the north on the mainline is Allanwater Viaduct and to the south Kippenross Viaduct.
The line has been electrified from the south.
The line between Stirling and Perth is supported and promoted by the Strathallan Community Rail Partnership.
The Ironing Station , an ironing and hanging service, is based in the station building.
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Bridge of Allan
Menstrie and Glenochil
| Oban Junction|
Springbank Mill Siding
Laigh Hill Tunnel
Mill o' Keir Viaduct
Ashfield Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|22/05/1848||Scottish Central Railway|
Opened from Stirling to Perth. Stations at: Bridge of Allan [1st], Dunblane, Kinbuck, Greenloaning, Auchterarder, Dunning, Forteviot, Forgandenny, Perth General.
|01/07/1858||Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway|
Line opened from Dunblane to Callander [1st]. Stations opened at Doune and Callander [1st].
|/ /1864||Scottish Central Railway|
Authorisation to stop up the level crossings north and south of Dunblane station and replace them with road overline bridges. Additionally permission is granted to extend the Callander [1st] line from the junction (north) into the station (south) over the site of the northern level crossing. (Similar removal of level crossings in Stirling at a later date.)
|/ /1882||Scottish Central Railway|
Authorisation to buy land to expand Dunblane station.
|09/06/1902||Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway|
Doubled section between Dunblane and Doune opened.
|07/06/1965||Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway|
Callander Dreadnought to Dunblane Springbank Mill Siding, excluded, closed to freight.
|01/11/1965||Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway|
Callander Dreadnought to Dunblane (Springbank Mill Siding, excluded) closed to passengers and completely.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)