Callander [1st] (1858-1870)
Opened on the Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a terminus, the end of the line from Dunblane. It was left on a short branch when the line was extended west to, ultimately, Oban through a new Callander Dreadnought station to the west.
The station was approached from the east. It had one platform, to the south of a loop. The west end of the loop had a turntable. There was a goods shed north of the passenger station and a loading bank. Towards the east end of the site was a locomotive shed, approached from the east.
There was a station building on the platform.
When the line was extended it was from a junction at the east end of the approach lines. The line west was initially single track but was later doubled. To the north of the old terminus there was a ticket platform.
Later the junction was taken out and the northern of the two lines running west to the station became the main line, the southern of the two lines gave access to the former terminus, goods yard and engine shed by reversal - a train from the east would pull into the new station and then reverse back to the former junction here before reversing again into the old station.
Sometimes the station is described as having two platforms, but this may be inaccurate.
The station site was cleared after closure and nothing now remains here.
Callander was a railhead to the Trossachs. To the north west, and once served by a coach from the station, is Loch Katrine. The Sir Walter Scott steamship still plies Loch Katrine Loch Katrine - Loch Cruises .
Callander Ticket Platform
Port of Menteith
Other railway and industry locations
Callander and Oban Junction
Pass of Leny Viaduct
St Bride^s Crossing
Bochastle Roman Fort
Falls of Leny
St Bride^s Chapel
Port of Menteith Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|