Callander (Dreadnought)

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Callander (Dreadnought) (1870-1965)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

The original 1870 station here had two platforms, a loop and a timber building. It replaced the original Callander [1st] terminus in the east of the town. This station was on the northern edge of the town.

The station was rebuilt in 1883, with larger, but still timber, station buildings. The main new station building, with three gables, fronted a carriage turning circle. The platforms were canopied along the length of the buildings.

There was also the addition of three bay platforms - one at each end of the down platforms and one at the south end of the up platform. There was also a parcel platform alongside the bay platform at the north end of the down platform. There were two goods passing loop on the up (north) side of the station. The footbridge was topped with a clock, although this was destroyed in an accident in 1947 and the footbridge was replaced.

A west and east signal box opened at either end of the station. Both boxes were on the north side of the line, the east box was east of the Ancaster Road bridge.

The line east to Callander and Oban Junction was doubled in 1902. The east box was replaced around this time. A scissors was installed in 1908.

With the closure of the box at Callander and Oban Junction in 1932 the line east became two single track lines: the northern line for the route east to Doune and the southern to access Callander [1st] goods yard and Callander Shed.

The station closed in 1965, shortly after the rockfall in Glen Ogle which closed the railway west to Oban. (For the location of the rockfall see Glen Ogle rockfall.)

After closure, the buildings survived for a few years before demolition. The site of the station is now a car park. There is a short portion of the parcel platform in modified form at the west end of the car park.

The name Dreadnought comes from the nearby hotel (just to the south and currently closed - 2017) and the motto of the Macnabs 'Dread Nought'.

Local

To the north west, and once served by a coach from the station, is Loch Katrine. The Sir Walter Scott steamship still plies Loch Katrine Loch Katrine - Loch Cruises .

Clan Macnab

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park - Bracklinn Falls Circuit


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map