Callander and Oban Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Callander and Oban Junction (1870-1938)

Opened on the Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway.

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

Junction


This was the junction between the Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway and the Callander and Oban Railway which extended it to Oban. Callander [1st] was left on a short branch being replaced by Callander Dreadnought further west.

Doubling


In 1902 the line west to Callander Dreadnought was doubled.

Two single lines


The signal box here closed in 1932 after which the northern of the two line was the approach to Callander Dreadnought from the east and the southern track became access, via a reversal, to Callander [1st] now a goods yard.

Closure


Closure came with the closure of the Callander and Oban Railway between Crianlarich Lower (excluded) and Dunblane (excluded).

Today


The location is now within a housing estate and the location of the junction is difficult to discern.


Tags

Junction