This railway is still open. The company provided a service between Perth and Greenhill (near Falkirk). Services ran from Carlisle, Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Princes Street to Greenhill and continued to Perth. Perth was, and still is, the junction for Aberdeen and Inverness. The main line to Aberdeen through Strathmore is now closed but the route via Dundee remains open.
The line between Stirling and Perth is supported and promoted by the Strathallan Community Rail Partnership.
|/ /1840||Dunmore, Polmaise, Plean, Bannockburn Quarries|
Opened after the [Scottish Central Railway] and [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway] opened.
|/ /1845||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Act receives Royal assent
|30/12/1847||Scottish Central Railway|
Moncrieffe Tunnel completed.
|/ /1848||Dundee and Perth RailwayScottish Central Railway|
Dundee and Perth Railway absorbed by Scottish Central Railway.
|/03/1848||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling locomotive shed opened, a timber shed possibly left over from the contractors.
|22/05/1848||Scottish Central Railway|
Opened from Stirling to Perth.
Castlecary Branch opened from Gartsherrie North Junction to Greenhill Lower Junction to meet the [Scottish Central Railway].
|/ /1850||[Scottish Central Railway]|
New Stirling locomotive shed opened; stone built four road shed replacing timber shed. The shed was originally single ended with the tracks running to the north. The shed was used for freight locomotives and the [Callander and Oban Railway].
|01/07/1853||[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]|
Bridge across the Forth and station at Stirling opened beside the [Scottish Central Railway]'s station
|01/07/1853||[South Alloa Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Alloa Junction to Alloa South opened. Ferry used to cross the Forth to Alloa.
|01/04/1858||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
|/ /1859||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
|01/01/1860||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Ingliston Branch opened. Also known as the Denny Branch Extension.
|/09/1862||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Locomotive shed opened to the east of Denny station near the Ingliston Branch after this date. There was no turntable at the shed, but there was one at the end of the Ingliston Branch. Locomotive turning was done on a triangle of colliery lines. A sub-shed of Stirling.
|/ /1864||Crieff Junction Railway|
Scottish Central Railway
Crieff Junction Railway absorbed by Scottish Central Railway.
|/ /1865||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Scottish Central Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
|/ /1865||[Dunblane Doune and Callander Railway]|
[Scottish Central Railway]
Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway absorbed by Scottish Central Railway.
|10/11/1868||Scottish Central Railway|
Decision taken to move the locomotive shed at Dunblane Shed to Dolphinton [CR] on the Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway). The Kinbuck banking engine operated from Stirling after 1865.
Authorised to build a line from the [South Alloa Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway]), a swing bridge over the Forth and line into Alloa.
|/ /1896||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling shed re-built as a two ended shed after removal of a road to the south of the site. A 50ft turntable was opened by the truncated road at the south east of the site.
|/ /1909||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Coaling stage opened at Stirling shed
|/ /1913||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling station re-built by the [Caledonian Railway]
|28/07/1930||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Denny to Larbert (Bonnywater Junction) closed to passengers.
|28/07/1930||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Denny shed closed.
|/ /1935||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling Shed coded 29B from Perth.
|01/02/1935||[Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway]|
[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])
Larbert (Larbert Junction) to Kilsyth closed to passengers.
|/ /1940||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling shed coded 31B from St Rollox.
|/ /1947||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling shed re-building begins as entrance arches need replacement.
|/ /1948||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling Shed coded 63B from Perth.
|/ /1950||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling shed renamed Stirling South
|/ /1951||[Scottish Central Railway]|
New Stirling shed round-house is set-out with a turntable from Polmadie, the work is abandoned and demolished.
|/ /1958||Airth Colliery|
The NCB starts sinking a new mine by Airth station on the [South Alloa Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])
|/04/1960||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling shed coded 65J from Eastfield.
|/ /1962||Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
|13/06/1966||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Stirling shed closed to steam. Shortly afterwards the allocation is transferred to Grangemouth shed and the shed closed.
|03/09/1966||Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
|20/07/1967||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Denny West Junction to Carmuirs West Junction closed to all traffic.
[South Alloa Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])
Alloa (West Junction) to Larbert (Alloa Junction) closed to passengers. Railbuses cease crossing the Forth Swing Bridge.
|04/10/1971||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Denny to Bonnybridge (South of Scotland Electricity Board) closed to freight.
|03/04/1972||[Denny Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])|
Bonnybridge (South of Scotland Electricity Board) to Larbert Junction closed.
[South Alloa Branch] ([Scottish Central Railway])
Throsk to Dunmore Junction to Alloa Junction closed to freight.
|13/05/1985||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Bridge of Allan station re-opened on a new site to the immediate south of the old station. The station included a large carpark.
|/ /1986||[Scottish Central Railway]|
Polmaise Colliery line closed
These locations are along the line.
At this junction trains from Glasgow to Edinburgh divide from those from Glasgow to Stirling and Perth. It is the junction between the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 and the Scottish Central Railway of 1848. Both lines are double track.
Here the Caledonian Railway's Greenhill Branch line from Garnqueen South Junction to Greenhill Lower Junction met the Scottish Central Railway from Greenhill Upper Junction. Both lines remain open today. ...More details
In 1882 the Caledonian Railway built a double track curve to link together the 1848 former Scottish Central Railway and the 1850 former Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway such that a train from the Glasgow direction could run to Falkirk Grahamston (and on to Grangemouth or even Edinburgh Princes Street) without reversal at Larbert Junction. The signal box was on the ...More details
At this junction the lines from Greenhill Lower Junction (for Glasgow Queen Street High Level and the south) and Falkirk Grahamston (for Edinburgh Waverley and the south) meet to run north to Larbert, Stirling and Perth. All lines are double track.
This is a two platform station. The present station formerly featured four tracks between the platforms, allowing non stop trains to pass those stopped in the station. There was a bay platform at the south end, east side of the line. The original station building still stands on the down (northbound) platform at the north end of the platform.
This was a two platform station to the south of sidings which served nearby collieries. It was a very plain station, just two platforms with a footbridge between the platforms. Access to the station was by a footpath which crossed over the mineral line to the Plean collieries by means of a footbridge. The footpath ran to the nearby road.
To the north of Plean station the Plean colliery line met the main line. The branch was approached from the north. To the north of this were railway cottages and Plean signal box, a very tall box as it will built to be high enough to see over the road bridge over the railway just to the north. The box was on the west side of the line. Opposite this a tramway ran east to Dunmore Quarry.
This was a two platform station south of Stirling and nearly a mile east of Bannockburn itself. The main station building was on the southbound platform. It was of a style characteristic of the line. The station was on an embankment.
This level crossing was south of Stirling station and Stirling Shed [CR]. It was taken out in 1885, around the same time as the Shore Road level crossings north of the station were taken out (Shore Road Level Crossing [CR] and Shore Road Level Crossing [NB] were taken out in 1887/88).
Also known as Burghmuir or Stirling South.
This is a well preserved station with building by James Miller on the main down platform and glass canopies. This was not the original building, but is similar in style. The station was rebuilt around 1912.
This is a two platform station opened to the south of the original Bridge of Allan [1st] station. It has a car park and waiting shelters.
This was a two platform station with heavily canopied platforms. Road access was curious being by the up platform and under the overbridge to the south of the station. The platforms were largely, but not entirely north of the overbridge.
This is a three platform station. Dunblane is both a through station for services running north to Perth and a terminus for local services from Glasgow Queen Street, Edinburgh Waverley and Newcraighall.
This junction was immediately north of Dunblane station. Here the Scottish Central Railway was met by the Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway. The branch was to be extended by the Callander and Oban Railway to Oban.
This was a two platform station north of Dunblane. There was a goods yard to the north of the station on the west side, approached from the north. On the east side was a siding serving a sand pit.
This was a two platform station.
This was a curling platform halt alongside Carsebreck Loch, the Royal Caledonian Curling Pond. It has been variously known as Nethertown, Curling Society's Platform, Curling Pond Halt, Royal Curling Club Platform,Royal Curling Club Station (as indicated on OS maps) and Carsbreck.
This was a two platform station with a goods yard at the west end, south side of the line. The station building also survives on the former westbound platform, its extension to the east removed. From the platform side, this resembled a house with dormer windows (removed since closure of the station). A similar building exists at the former Kinbuck station. A small timber waiting room was on ...More details
This was a four platform station with two platforms on the main line and two on the branch to Crieff. The main station building was on the northbound main line platform and had canopies. there was a building on the southbound main line platform and small shelter on the northbound branch platform.
This is a two platform station, and was built as a three platform station. The station has canopied platforms and station buildings similar to those which existed at Eglinton Street and Carstairs stations. It is a fine example of a superior Caledonian Railway station. Not only did the station serve the surrounding area but also, from 1924, the railway built Gleneagles Hotel.
This was a two platform station. The station building was a two storey with crow stopped gables on the down platform, like the one still extant at Greenloaning.
This was a two platform station. It was somewhat distant from the town of Dunning, more than a mile and a half distant.
This was a two platform station. The station building, two storeys with crow stepped gables, remains as a house on the former down platform as does a railwayman's cottage by the level crossing. The goods yard was to the south, on the west (down) side of the line, with a refuge siding on the up side.
This station was north of the village of Forgandenny and west of Forgandenny Viaduct.
This goods yard this was chiefly a marshalling yard on the east side of the line between Friarton Junction, to the south, and the Edinburgh Road bridge to the north. There were no loading banks, cranes or goods sheds, but the site was classified as having public sidings after 1962.
Also known as Friarton. The shed was originally single ended approached from the north. It was modified to become a double ended and approached from both north and south. It was replaced with a new building to the south in 1938 and the old shed demolished. The new shed was approached from the north.
This was a single ended three road shed approached from the south. It was immediately south of St Leonards Bridge on the west side of the line, across the tracks from St Leonards Bridge Signal Box. The site was somewhat cramped with no room for expansion. The shed was accessed from the goods lines which ran up the west side of Perth station.
This is a superb major station with a tudor styled building by William Tite and large glazed trainshed situated on the western edge of the Perth town centre. To the south lines from Glasgow Queen Street High Level and Edinburgh Waverley meet at Hilton Junction and in the station lines north to Inverness and north east to Dundee and Aberdeen divide. Today it is an eight ...More details
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)