Stirling and Dunfermline Railway

Introduction

This line is partly open with passenger services operating between Stirling and Alloa.

It was used between Stirling and Kincardine Junction (and on to Kincardine) for loaded coal trains for Longannet Power Station.

Most of the open portion, Stirling to Alloa station, is being electrified.



Dates

28/08/1850[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
[Forth Ironworks Railway]
Opened from Dunfermline to Alloa for passengers. A branch to Alloa harbour station from Alloa was used for passengers traveling on to Stirling by boats along the forth. A connection to the [Forth Ironworks Railway] was made at Oakley.
03/06/1851[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Opened a branch from Alloa to temporary terminus at Glenfoot, near Tillicoultry.
01/07/1852[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Opened from Alloa to Stirling
01/07/1853[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Bridge across the Forth and station at Stirling opened beside the [Scottish Central Railway]'s station
  /  /1865[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Two road locomotive shed opened at Alloa.
  /10/1889Stirling and Dunfermline RailwayAlloa Railway
Connection made between the North British Railway's Stirling and Dunfermline Railway and the Caledonian Railway's Alloa Railway.
21/07/1912[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Blairhall signalbox opened. (New shafts at Blairhall colliery sunk in 1906).
01/12/1921[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Clackmannan Road station closed
09/03/1925[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Oakley renamed Oakley (Fife).
22/09/1930[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Sauchie station closed.
  /  /1950[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Stirling shed renamed Shore Road
11/09/1954[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
New marshalling proposed to the west of Alloa
04/07/1955[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Causewayhead station closed
16/09/1957[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Stirling Shore Road shed closed, locomotives transferred to Stirling South.
13/09/1958[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Bogside station closed
13/09/1958[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
East Grange station closed
19/01/1967[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Alloa shed closed
06/05/1968[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Dunfermline; Townhill Junction to Touch North Junction closed to passengers
07/10/1968[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Stirling to Alloa to Dunfermline Lower (Touch South Junction) closed to passengers
07/10/1968[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Dunfermline Lower to Stirling passenger service withdrawn
18/06/1972[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Blairhall signalbox closed and ground frame now released from Oakley. Blairhill colliery closed in 1969.
  /03/1977[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Alloa Harbour branch closed
  /03/1977[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Alloa Harbour branch Alloa [1st] closed.
  /06/1978[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Alloa New Yard (excluded) to Longcarse Junction (reverse) to Alloa West coal yard closed.
  /06/1979[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Kincardine Junction to Oakley (junction for Comrie Colliery) closed.
  /07/1979Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Kincardine Junction (excluded) to Oakley (excluded) closed. Signalling removed at the former Alloa station and Alloa Co-op Siding and the line from Kincardine Junction run as two parallel single tracks from Alloa to Alloa West Junction.
06/10/1979[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Kincardine Junction to Oakley closed.
  /02/1980[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Much of Alloa New yard (Nos 1 to 5 sidings and east end headshunt) secured out of use. Trains to Menstrie continue to round in the yard. Most trains heading east from Cambus travel via the yard to reach Alloa West Junction.
  /  /1985[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
[Kincardine Line]
Longannet signal box (excluded) to Alloa West Junction (excluded) out of use. Track left in place for possible re-opening.
  /  /1985[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Alloa co-op Siding to Alloa West Junction (excluded) closed. Line lifted from Alloa co-op Siding to Alloa West Junction.
20/12/1987[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Alloa New Yard closed on opening of rounding loop at Cambus. A lifted track panel could be replaced to allow access which was done some time later for a light locomotive running to Alloa West Level Crossing. Cambus Junction and Alloa West Junction signal boxes closed. Panels lifted in Alloa yard to block access.
  /  /1988[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Last locomotive to run east to Alloa West Junction allowed by relaying track panel at Cambus. Afterwards the panel removed again.
  /  /1989[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Derelict Alloa New Yard lifted.
  /  /1994[Alva Railway]
[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
Stirling to Cambus to Menstrie (Glenochil Yeast) closed completely. The end nearest Stirling saw occasional use by tampers.
19/05/2008[Stirling and Dunfermline Railway]
[Kincardine Line]
The railway between Stirling and Alloa re-opens to passengers. The line between Stirling and Longannet via Alloa re-opens to freight.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Stirling to Dunfermline

Passenger and goods line from Stirling Middle Junction to Dunfermline [Upper].


This was the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway station directly alongside and to the east of the Scottish Central Railway's station. Today the stations are virtually indistinguishable and were officially merged in 1968. See the entry for Stirling. ...

More details

Reid ex-NB C15 4-4-2T 67462 on shed at Shore Road, Stirling, on Saturday 26 August 1950. [Ref query 22 March 2019] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/08/1950
Ex-North British 'Scott' class 4-4-0 no 62426 Cuddie Headrigg on shed at Stirling (Shore Road) on Saturday 26 August 1950. Latterly a sub to ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/08/1950

This was a two platform station in traditional North British Railway style. The goods yard was at the west end of the station, north of the line and approached from the west.
...

More details
On the new Alloa line 170476 passes Waterside LC heading for Stirling and Glasgow Queen Street. ...
Brian Forbes /08/2008
Road-Rail hedge trimmer on a demonstration run at Causewayhead on the then closed Stirling - Alloa line in 2000.
...
Bill Roberton //2000
East view from level crossing at Causewayhead, base of relay cabinet to right. ...
Brian Forbes 21/05/2007
Overlooked by Stirling castle, Freightliner locomotive 66 555 motors past some very relaxed looking sheep near Cambuskenneth in May 2010. The load is ...
Mark Dufton 22/05/2010

This level crossing is at Waterside, just east of the former Causewayhead station on the line between Stirling and Alloa.
...

More details
The Alloa opening, taken at Waterside Level Crossing (sometimes known as Cambuskenneth crossing) on 15th May. ...
Hamish Baillie 15/05/2008
A photograph taken at Waterside Level Crossing, Causewayhead, on the re-opening of the Stirling - Alloa - Kincardine line. Deltic 55022 Royal Scots ...
Hamish Baillie 15/05/2008

This was a level crossing to the east of Causewayhead, Waterside Level Crossing and the Abbey Craig on which the Wallace Monument stands.
...

More details

This colliery was sunk between 1911 and 1914 by the Manor Powis Coal Company. It was equipped with Baum washers.
...

More details

A signal box was opened at Manor Powis in 1913 for a new colliery, Manor Powis Colliery opened around 1914. A halt for the colliery was opened in 1916. The location was named for a now ruinous manor house just to the north.
...

More details
12.12.06 and track is laid albeit roughly, sleepers and ballast for immediate use. ...
Brian Forbes /12/2006
New track waiting to be laid at Manor Powis in May 2006. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/05/2006
Looking east from the LC. Another shoogly line. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
170 477 heads east through Manor Powis with a Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa service on 18 February.
...
Bill Roberton 18/02/2011

Blackgrange was a very short lived station at the Blackgrange Level Crossing. Probably open for less than a year. The location was rural.
...

More details
No doubt the Wallace Monument will feature in many photographs of the line re-opened. Looking west at Blackgrange. ...
Ewan Crawford 01/07/2006
170 460 nears Blackgrange level crossing with a Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa service on 20 January. ...
Bill Roberton 20/01/2009
Looking west at Blackgrange level crossing. Welded rail lies to the right. ...
Ewan Crawford 24/06/2006
A light 66084 heads west at Blackgrange. This slotted in between the passenger trains on the first public day of service. ...
Ewan Crawford 19/05/2008

A 26 backs down on a train of Molasses at Cambus Junction. View looks west. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Cambus Junction signalbox looking east. Trains for Menstrie continued to Alloa New Yard for loco rounding. The box closed on the 20th of December ...
Bill Roberton //1987
26 with a Molasses train crosses the level crossing at Cambus Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
A 26 heads west from Cambus Junction. On the right is the Wallace Monument. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This was a three platform station to the west of a level crossing and east of Cambus Junction. A footbridge was provided by the level crossing used to cross between the platforms and also for pedestrians when the crossing was closed.
...

More details
An Alloa bound train seen from the level crossing at Cambus. What looks suspiciously like a base for an electrification mast can be seen on the right. ...
Ewan Crawford 08/10/2017
One of the Hunterston - Longannet coal trains approaching Cambus level crossing from the west on 22 December 2008. The Diageo complex stands beyond ...
John Furnevel 22/12/2008
I remember it was wet... oh yes... The 1020 Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa about to pass over Cambus level crossing in pouring rain on 26 April 2018. ...
John Furnevel 26/04/2018
Progress report? New cabinet beside Cambus L.C. ...
Brian Forbes /05/2007

A 158 heads east towards Alloa after clearing Cambus level crossing on 26 April 2018. Cambus Loop is visible just beyond the train, although the ...
John Furnevel 26/04/2018
ScotRail 158709 approaching Cambus loop on 26 April 2018 with the 1041 Alloa - Glasgow Queen Street. The line between Stirling and Alloa reopened in ...
John Furnevel 26/04/2018
View west towards Cambus on 21 November 2006 with the passing loop now in place. ...
John Furnevel 21/11/2006
Alloa masts; looking east from Cambus level crossing towards Cambus loop, during a month-long possession. ...
Bill Roberton 25/03/2018

Looking west from the crossing. The signalbox was to the left of this once double track mainline. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
West Coast Railways Class 47 “Chris Fudge” (formerly 47 747) passes the site of the former Alloa West level crossing on the rear of the ...
Mark Dufton 14/05/2017
Looking west to Alloa West level crossing. Sorting the drainage before putting down the ballast. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
The 1041 Alloa - Glasgow Queen Street about to encounter some serious rain moving south from the Ochil Hills on 26 April 2018. The train has just run ...
John Furnevel 26/04/2018

This was the junction for the harbour looking west. The harbour line was to the left but the line being re-opened is straight ahead. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
Deltic 55022 Royal Scots Grey at the rear of one of the Alloa Reopening specials leaving Alloa for Stirling on 15 May 2008. ...
Bill Roberton 15/05/2008
Alloa, 250107. Tracklaying progress to the west of the old station site. ...
Bill Roberton 25/01/2007
East portal of the Alloa Harbour Tunnel. This branch served the short-lived original terminus of the line at Alloa Ferry, prior to completion of the ...
Ewan Crawford 05/01/2008

At its height this was a very fine station. It had an island platform with two bays at the west end, a large stone main building and large glass canopies over the platforms. A stone bridge of four arches crossed the line at the east end of the station.
...

More details

Looking south west, back towards the site of the old Alloa station in January 2007 along the trackbed of the Devon Valley line. The embankment on the ...
John Furnevel 23/01/2007
Approaching Alloa east junction in 1973 on a railtour. ...
Bill Roberton //1973
Alloa looking east over the former junction between the Devon Valley line (left, lifted) and Dunfermline line (not lifted). This was the east end of ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This is a single platform station opened in 2008 to the east of the original Alloa [1st] station. It is a terminus being on a siding served from the west, the direction of Stirling. ...

More details
The Rotary Club of Alloa barrel-train on the platform at Alloa station. ...
John Yellowlees 13/06/2016
One of the two new Rotary Club of Alloa barrell trains at Alloa station. ...
John Yellowlees 13/06/2016
Alloa with the planters looking fine. ...
John Yellowlees 04/07/2017
Sculpture on the station forecourt at Alloa on 19 March 2019, not that the building in the background is the station! ...
John McIntyre 19/03/2019


Looking west on the ECML, er no, this is the new passing loop to the east of Alloa. It runs from Hilton Road to (the former) Kincardine Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2006
Track by Hornby! (Well thats how it looks to me). Looking east from Alloa Hilton Road Level Crossing. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2006
View east from Bruce Street footbridge on 5 March 2007, showing work being carried out at Hilton Road level crossing in the middle distance. Beyond ...
John Furnevel 05/03/2007
View looking to east to Kincardine from the footbridge by Hilton Road LC (in distance). ...
Ewan Crawford 01/07/2006

Freightliner 66550 runs through Alloa Loop with coal from Hunterston High Level to Longannet Power Station. ...
Bill Roberton 29/09/2015
Coal empties from Longannet westbound passing Alloa loop on a hot day in May 2012. The train has just crossed Helensfield Bridge over the A907 (right ...
John Furnevel 09/05/2012
Alloa East looking west. The trackbed runs from left to bottom centre and the new bypass road is under construction. ...
Ewan Crawford 23/10/2005
WCRC 47854 leads a Thonton - Bo'ness empty stock working into Alloa Loop on 22 June. 47804 was on the rear of the train. ...
Bill Roberton 22/06/2014

At this junction the Kincardine Branch met the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway. The branch was to become a loop when extended to Elbowend Junction. The junction was double track with the branch singling just beyond the junction. The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction.
...

More details
The new bridge under construction where the line will cross the A907. The is the limit of the track west from Kincardine. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
The tower on the hill above Clackmannan has seen many waggonways and railways come and go. Today it gets to see the extent of the track of the ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
A new bridge is under construction over the Dunfermline-Alloa road. The line from Kincardine joined the main Stirling-Dunfermline line (which was ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Helensfield bridge, east of Alloa, on 22 December 2006. The new deck was hoisted into place the previous weekend. ...
John Furnevel 22/12/2006

This was a two platform station. It was between the B910 and a viaduct over the Black Devon. There was a small goods yard on the north side, east end of the station, approached from the east.
...

More details
The two stations serving Clackmannan were often referred to as North (S&D) and South (Kincardine line). The north station was opened as ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2008

Viaduct over the Black Devon. Trees now make photography of the viaduct very challenging ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Approximately two miles east of Alloa station, the S&D route crossed a substantial viaduct over the Black Devon. View is east towards Dunfermline on ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2008
The viaduct spanning the Black Devon on the Stirling - Dunfermline line between the former Clackmannan Road and Forest Mill stations. The impressive ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2008




This was a two platform station on a double track railway.
...

More details
The site of Forest Mill station looking towards Dunfermline. A small goods yard was located on the right here. ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
A surviving gradient post indicating the start of the lengthy descent to Kincardine Junction in the Alloa direction. ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Between Forest Mill and Clackmannan Road. The long descent from Forest Mill to Kincardine Junction is quite apparent in this picture. Stirling ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
The site of Forest Mill station looking towards Alloa. Rubble heaps on the left mark the down platform. ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006

Viaduct over the Black Devon. Trees now make photography of the viaduct very challenging ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Approximately two miles east of Alloa station, the S&D route crossed a substantial viaduct over the Black Devon. View is east towards Dunfermline on ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2008
The viaduct spanning the Black Devon on the Stirling - Dunfermline line between the former Clackmannan Road and Forest Mill stations. The impressive ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2008

This siding was on the north side of the line, accessed from the east between Bogside Fife and Forest Mill. ...

More details

This was a two platform station on the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway. There were sidings on the north side, latterly gunpowder sidings served from the east. The platforms were to the east. The station house was to the north of the eastbound platform and still exists.
...

More details
The surviving signal box standing alongside the old Stirling & Dunfermline route at Bogside, looking south in February 2007. The walkway is on the ...
John Furnevel 20/02/2007
Another view of the signal box looking in the Dunfermline direction. The remains of the waiting room are hidden in the trees in the centre. ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
A dilapidated waiting room still survives on the down platform. ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
B1 61101 with a westbound freight passing Bogside, Fife, in the mid 1960s. [See image 24409] ...
Andy Carr Collection //

This was a two platform station. There was a station house near the westbound platform. A station building was added on the westbound platform and a smaller on the eastbound.
...

More details

View of Comrie Dean Viaduct, near Blairhall Junction, looking east in November 2018. The railway closed to passengers on 7 October 1968 and to freight ...
Bill Roberton 20/11/2018

Looking west towards Comrie Dean Viaduct, with the route of the Blairhill Colliery branch (closed in 1969) diverging to the left. [See image 57767].
...
Bill Roberton 20/11/2018
Looking west along the overgrown Blairhall Colliery branch. The colliery closed in 1969. Seen from the Branch Line Society's Lothian & Fife Wanderer ...
Bill Roberton 23/08/1980

This was a two platform station. It was built over station road, south of Oakley. There was a goods yard to the west, on the south side of the line and served from the west. The main station building was on the westbound platform, just to the west of the bridge.
...

More details
Looking west. A number of sidings ran parallel to the main line in the centre while an extensive yard fanned out right at the start of the Comrie ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Oakley. The branch to Comrie Colliery (and formerly, to Oakley Colliery) forked off to the right here with extensive BR-NCB exchange sidings. Oakley ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
The site of Oakley station looking towards Dunfermline. The signal box stood on the right here with the down platform straight ahead in the centre. ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Oakley Station looking towards Alloa. The remains of the demolished down platform are on the left immediately behind the wooden fence. Of the up ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006

Dunfermline, Whitemyre Junction looking west. The West of Fife Mineral Railway diverged to the right here, its formation lies directly behind the ...
Mark Poustie 23/09/2006
Looking west from Lundin Road bridge, a little to the west of the the former Whitemyre Junction, along the Stirling & Dunfermline Railway. With the ...
Bill Roberton //1985
Looking west along the trackbed of the Stirling - Dunfermline line at the former Whitemyre Junction, where the West of Fife Mineral Railway branched ...
Bill Roberton 27/06/2008

This was a station with two main through platforms, the north of which was an island with a second face. At the west end was a bay on the south side.
...

More details
Stirling and Dunfermline line now a walkway east of Dunfermline Upper. This view looks east to Touch North Junction. ...
John Yellowlees 10/03/2017
Looking east over Dunfermline Upper Station in December 1973, looking largely intact. ...
Bill Roberton /12/1973
107 444 pauses at Dunfermline Upper with the Tayforth Venturer on 16th June 1984. This was a comprehensive tour starting from, and returning to, ...
Douglas McPherson 16/06/1984
Looking east from Inglis Street over the site of Dunfermline Upper station, now a retail park. Only the concrete retaining wall remains. 27 March. ...
Bill Roberton 27/03/2016




Tillicoultry Branch

Passenger and goods line from Alloa East Junction to Tillicoultry.

Looking south west, back towards the site of the old Alloa station in January 2007 along the trackbed of the Devon Valley line. The embankment on the ...
John Furnevel 23/01/2007
Approaching Alloa east junction in 1973 on a railtour. ...
Bill Roberton //1973
Alloa looking east over the former junction between the Devon Valley line (left, lifted) and Dunfermline line (not lifted). This was the east end of ...
Ewan Crawford //1988




This was a small two platform station. To the north was Auchinbaird Siding, a reversing spur for the pits at Sauchie. ...

More details

This siding was a reversing spur on the east side of the line which gave access to pits at Sauchie. It was located just north of Sauchie station and was retained after closure of the pits. ...

More details
Looking north along the Devon Valley trackbed towards the Ochil Hills on 28 February 2008 from the site of Auchinbaird Siding. The siding acted as a ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2008


Glenfoot was a very short lived terminus used to open the line from Alloa before the Tillicoultry Viaduct was completed. The station was south west of the viaduct. ...

More details

This double track lattice viaduct was west of Tillicoultry.
...

More details
View southeast along the River Devon in April 2005 showing the remaining piers of Glenfoot Viaduct that once carried the Devon Valley line between ...
John Furnevel 28/04/2005
Looking north towards the Ochil Hills west of Tillicoultry on a misty morning in the autumn of 1971. A Clayton Type 1 locomotive is crossing Glenfoot ...
John Furnevel 07/10/1971

This station was originally a terminus and later a through station. It was located on the west side of a level crossing over Moss Road to the south of Tillicoultry. It was rebuilt at least three times.
...

More details
Site of the station looking west. ...
Ewan Crawford 03/10/2006
Notice near the former Tillicoultry LC - March 2007. ...
Bill Roberton /03/2007
View east across the A908 Moss Road, Tillicoultry, on 6 March 2008 from a point between the platforms of the late Tillicoultry station (behind ...
John Furnevel 06/03/2008
Opening the crossing gates over the A908 at Tillicoultry in October 1971. The train is carrying coal from Dollar mine, destined for Kincardine power ...
John Furnevel 07/10/1971




Alloa Harbour Branch

Passenger (briefly) and goods branch to Alloa Harbour from Alloa Harbour Junction, just west of Alloa [1st] station.

This was the junction for the harbour looking west. The harbour line was to the left but the line being re-opened is straight ahead. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/11/2006
Deltic 55022 Royal Scots Grey at the rear of one of the Alloa Reopening specials leaving Alloa for Stirling on 15 May 2008. ...
Bill Roberton 15/05/2008
Alloa, 250107. Tracklaying progress to the west of the old station site. ...
Bill Roberton 25/01/2007
East portal of the Alloa Harbour Tunnel. This branch served the short-lived original terminus of the line at Alloa Ferry, prior to completion of the ...
Ewan Crawford 05/01/2008



The BLS 'Forth Fife Railtour' on the Alloa Harbour branch on 28 August 1976. View is north, looking back towards Bedford Place, with the Glasshouse ...
Bill Roberton 28/08/1976
The BLS 'Forth Fife Railtour' stands in front of Alloa glassworks on 28 August 1976. The works stood alongside the branch which left the current main ...
Bill Roberton 28/08/1976

This was a short lived passenger station on the north bank of the River Forth. It was just east of the original part of the Alloa Glassworks.
...

More details