Whinhill Siding

Location type


Name and dates

Whinhill Siding

Opened on the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.


This siding was east of Hilton Road Level Crossing. The siding was a loop off the eastbound line and on the north side of the railway. Crossovers allowed access to the siding from the westbound line. The signal box, 'Whinhill Colliery', was on the south side of the line.

The loop served the Whinhill Pit was was next to the railway. A tramway ran north to the Whinhill Fire Clay Brick and Tile Works and Carsebridge Distillery and a link west to the Alloa Waggonway.

The signal box closed in 1908, replaced by the new box at Hilton Road Level Crossing.

The railway closed in 1981 but the track from Alloa West Junction to Kincardine remained in place.

When the railway was being prepared for re-opening in 2008 the stone built embankment by the former siding was revealed with the removal of trees and clearance of the trackbed.



Siding signal box