The railway here opened in 1850, the line opening between Dunfermline Upper and Alloa [1st]. This level crossing was also known as Gaberston or Gabberston Crossing. Gaberston is to the north. The line was double track. The road was previously known as Cross Road.
A signal box opened here in 1908, replacing the box at Whinhill Siding which was further east. The new box was on the south side of the line, east of the level crossing.
By the 1930s a standard gauge siding ran from east of the level crossing to the Hilton Brick Works, to the north east. There was a loop at the south end of the siding and west of the level crossing was a cross over. The branch replaced an earlier tramway from Whinhill Colliery. After the the siding closed the crossover remained.
In 1979 Kincardine Junction to Bogside Fife closed and the line singled with the eastbound line being lifted.
The railway closed altogether in 1981 but was retained as an Alloa to Kincardine.
For the re-opening in 2005 the level crossing was stopped up and a new road diversion for the B909 opened to the east. The line is single track and Alloa Loop opened to the east.
To the east was Whinhill Siding (and signal box until 1908) now roughly the site of Alloa Loop.
To the west was the Alloa Shed, Alloa Brewery and, since 2008, the new Alloa station.
Clackmannan and Kennet
Menstrie and Glenochil
| Hilton Brick Works|
Alloa NCB Workshops
Alloa Co-op Coal Siding
Alloa East Junction
Sauchie Colliery Signal Box
Drysdale Street Tunnel
Alloa Station Goods
Alloa Harbour Junction
Bedford Place Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|