Dollar

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Dollar (1869-1964)

Opened on the Devon Valley Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station, the platform being on the north side.

There was a goods yard at the east end of the station and on the north side of the line. The came off a loop and was served from the east. The signal box was at the east end of the station, south of the line.

The loop was later used as the start for the branch to Dollar Mine.

There was a small station building on the platform and a wooden shelter extended down from the station house.

The next station west was Tillicoultry and east Rumbling Bridge [2nd]. The line to the east was particularly difficult to build.

Despite closing to passengers in 1964 the line remained open to Dollar Mine. The signal box closed in 1967 and coal trains continued until 1973, running west to Alloa Marshalling Yard.

The platform remains intact and the trackbed is now a footpath.

To the east was the Dollar Mine.

Tags

Station footpath

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map




Nearby stations
Tillicoultry
Glenfoot
Rumbling Bridge [2nd]
Rumbling Bridge [1st]
Forest Mill
Clackmannan Road
Sauchie
Clackmannan and Kennet
Bogside Fife
Crook of Devon
Alva
Kilbagie
Alloa
Alloa [1st]
East Grange
Dollar Colliery
Dollar Mine
River Devon Viaduct
Balshie Siding
Melloch Colliery
Harvieston
Melloch
Harvieston
Tillicoultry 1,2 Colliery
Solsgirth Colliery
Gairney Viaduct
Woodland^s Coal Pit Siding
Gartinkeir
Tourist/other
Dollar Glen
Castle Campbell
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.


Dates

20/04/1964Devon Valley Railway
Kinross Junction (excluded) to Dollar (excluded) closed to freight.

Books


Forgotten Railways: Scotland