Alloa Marshalling Yard (1957-1987)
Opened on the Alloa Marshalling Yard (British Railways).
This was a large marshalling yard between Alloa and Cambus. Also known as Alloa New Yard and Alloa New Marshalling Yard.
This yard was located to the west of Alloa and east of Cambus. It was to the south side of the main line and had a connection to the line to Alloa Bridge (the swing bridge). A watertower existed to the east end of the site. The yard was progressively cut back from the 1970s until closure in 1987 when the loop at Cambus came into use allowing traffic to Cambus Distillery and Glenochil Yeast to be run round in the former station area. After closure Cambus was the end of the line from Stirling.
The yard was probably established here when the new NCB colliery at Glenochil Mine was developed (this was served by the branch from Cambus), as well as the desire to create a modern centralised marshalling yard for the area. With that mine being a disappointment and closed at an early date the yard was cut back (opened 1956 and closed 1962).
A planned locomotive depot was never built.
Menstrie and Glenochil
Clackmannan and Kennet
Other railway and industry locations
Alloa Marshalling Yard
Eglinton Bottling Stores
Alloa West Junction
Kelliebank Bottling Stores
Kelliebank Glass Works
Forth Shipbuilding Yard
Alloa Shed [CR]
Bass Crest Brewery
Alloa Goods [CR]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|