This was a three platform station to the west of a level crossing and east of Cambus Junction. A footbridge was provided by the level crossing used to cross between the platforms and also for pedestrians when the crossing was closed.
There were two main line platforms and a bay at the west end, on the north side of the eastbound platform, used for the Alva branch. The branch ran west from the bay parallel to the main line to the junction with connections between the two. This allowed the branch to operated without fouling the main line.
To the south was a goods yard, approached from the west. This served Cambus Distillery which expanded north to the station and was directly served by a curving siding laid into the works. the Forth Brewery was to the north, served by another siding from the west.
The stone station building opened with the original small station of two platforms. The building was of two storeys. Later timber waiting rooms were added to each platform and the platforms extended. The branch opened in 1863.
The branch closed to passengers in 1954. The line west to Manor Powis was singled in 1958, probably the connection to the branch being altered at the same time. Closure to passengers of Cambus station came in 1968. The line east to Alloa West Level Crossing was singled in 1973.
The building was demolished in the late 1970s/early 1980s. With the closure of the line east to Alloa Marshalling Yard in 1987 the signal box, west of the station at the junction, was closed and was demolished. A loop was laid in within the former station. Platforms, partly complete, survived.
In 1994 Glenochil Yeast at Menstrie ceased taking deliveries and Stirling to Cambus (reverse) to Menstrie closed.
With re-opening of the line to Alloa in 2008 a station has not re-opened here. There is still a level crossing. The last portions of the platforms were removed.
Menstrie and Glenochil
Abbeycraig Level Crossing
| Cambus Junction|
Alloa Marshalling Yard
Eglinton Bottling Stores
King O Muirs 2,3
Alloa West Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Line opened from Cambus to Alva.
Alva to Cambus closed to passengers.
|/02/1980||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Much of Alloa New Yard (Nos 1 to 5 sidings and east end headshunt) secured out of use. Trains to Menstrie continue to round in the yard. Most trains heading east from Cambus travel via the yard to reach Alloa West Junction, rather than use the main line.
|20/12/1987||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Alloa New Yard closed on opening of rounding loop at Cambus. A lifted track panel could be replaced to allow access which was done some time later for a light locomotive running to Alloa West Level Crossing. Cambus Junction and Alloa West Junction signal boxes closed. Panels lifted in Alloa New Yard to block access (some lifted and relaid to form the loop).
|/ /1988||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Last locomotive to run east to Alloa West Junction allowed by relaying track panel at Cambus. Afterwards the panel removed again.
|/ /1994||Alva Railway
Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Stirling to Cambus and Menstrie (Glenochil Yeast) closed completely. The end nearest Stirling saw occasional use by tampers.