Location type


Name and dates

Cambus (1852-1968)

Station code: National Rail
Opened on the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.
Opened on the Alloa Marshalling Yard (British Railways).


This was a three platform station to the west of a level crossing and east of Cambus Junction. A footbridge was provided by the level crossing used to cross between the platforms and also for pedestrians when the crossing was closed.

There were two main line platforms and a bay at the west end, on the north side of the eastbound platform, used for the Alva branch. The branch ran west from the bay parallel to the main line to the junction with connections between the two. This allowed the branch to operated without fouling the main line.

To the south was a goods yard, approached from the west. This served Cambus Distillery which expanded north to the station and was directly served by a curving siding laid into the works. the Forth Brewery was to the north, served by another siding from the west.

The stone station building opened with the original small station of two platforms. The building was of two storeys. Later timber waiting rooms were added to each platform and the platforms extended. The branch opened in 1863.

The branch closed to passengers in 1954. The line west to Manor Powis was singled in 1958, probably the connection to the branch being altered at the same time. Closure to passengers of Cambus station came in 1968. The line east to Alloa West Level Crossing was singled in 1973.

The building was demolished in the late 1970s/early 1980s. With the closure of the line east to Alloa Marshalling Yard in 1987 the signal box, west of the station at the junction, was closed and was demolished. A loop was laid in within the former station. Platforms, partly complete, survived.

In 1994 Glenochil Yeast at Menstrie ceased taking deliveries and Stirling to Cambus (reverse) to Menstrie closed.

With re-opening of the line to Alloa in 2008 a station has not re-opened here. There is still a level crossing. The last portions of the platforms were removed.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Nearby stations
Menstrie and Glenochil
Manor Powis
Alloa [1st]
Alloa Ferry
South Alloa
Stirling East
Cambus Junction
Devon Viaduct [Cambus]
Cambus Loop
Glenochil Ground Frame
Alloa Marshalling Yard
Devon Viaduct [Tullibody]
Longcarse Junction
Eglinton Bottling Stores
Weirs Pumps
Glenochil Yeast
Iron Foundry
Cambus Distillery
New Mills Level Crossing
RNAD Bandeath
Glenochil Distillery
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

Chronology Dates

03/06/1863Alva Railway
Line opened from Cambus to Alva.
01/11/1954Alva Railway
Alva to Cambus closed to passengers.
  /02/1980Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Much of Alloa New Yard (Nos 1 to 5 sidings and east end headshunt) secured out of use. Trains to Menstrie continue to round in the yard. Most trains heading east from Cambus travel via the yard to reach Alloa West Junction, rather than use the main line.
20/12/1987Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Alloa New Yard closed on opening of rounding loop at Cambus. A lifted track panel could be replaced to allow access which was done some time later for a light locomotive running to Alloa West Level Crossing. Cambus Junction and Alloa West Junction signal boxes closed. Panels lifted in Alloa New Yard to block access (some lifted and relaid to form the loop).
  /  /1988Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Last locomotive to run east to Alloa West Junction allowed by relaying track panel at Cambus. Afterwards the panel removed again.
  /  /1994Alva Railway Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Stirling to Cambus and Menstrie (Glenochil Yeast) closed completely. The end nearest Stirling saw occasional use by tampers.

News items

31/07/2023Rail services between Stirling and Alloa halted after train strikes tree and overhead cables snap [STV]
01/04/2021Cambus O'May bridge finally reopened after Storm Frank destruction [Evening Express]