This junction was directly west of Cambus station and was formed between the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway and the Alva Railway, the branch. The branch opened in 1863. It was single track and the main line double.
The original point of junction was directly west of the station (there was a bay platform on the north side and goods yard on the south side) and the signal box was on the south side of the line by the level crossing at the east end of the station. The goods yard extended to sidings for the distillery to the south.
The junction was moved further west and a new box built on the south side of the line.
Re-signalling for Alloa Marshalling Yard, on the south side of the line to the east of the station and level crossing, was carried out around 1955-1957. The line west to Manor Powis was singled in 1958.
The route east to Alloa West Junction was singled in 1973, on closure of the remainder of the Devon Valley Railway to Dollar Mine.
Very little traffic continued east of Alloa Marshalling Yard by 1987 when a loop was laid at Cambus, lifted from the yard, and the line east closed. Cambus remained the branch for Menstrie and Glenochil Yeast and traffic continued to the distillery.
The line was completely closed in 1994 but track left in place.
The main line was reinstated for passenger and freight traffic in 2008.
Menstrie and Glenochil
| Cambus Loop|
Alloa Marshalling Yard
Manor Powis Colliery
King O Muirs 2,3
Eglinton Bottling Stores
Alloa West Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/12/1987||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Alloa New Yard closed on opening of rounding loop at Cambus. A lifted track panel could be replaced to allow access which was done some time later for a light locomotive running to Alloa West Level Crossing. Cambus Junction and Alloa West Junction signal boxes closed. Panels lifted in Alloa New Yard to block access (some lifted and relaid to form the loop).