This is a excellent well preserved station with building by James Miller on the main down platform and glass canopies. (This is not the 1848 original building, but is similar in style.) The station was rebuilt around 1912.
The main building has crow stepped gable ends and a station entrance canopy. Inside is a semicircular ticket office supporting a glazed roof (similar to Wemyss Bay). Beyond is a glazed area, with wooden built curved shop, leading through to the main northbound platform and glazed covered footbridge to the main southbound platform (and other platforms). The main platforms are heavily canopied, those to the east less so.
In 1968 Stirling East, the former Stirling and Dunfermline Railway station, was officially merged with the former Scottish Central Railway station.
The station has nine platforms, although numbered 2-10 due to the loss of platform 1. The main platforms are 2 down (northbound) and 3 up. There are two south facing bays (7 and 8) and two north facing (4 and 5) and, on the east, Alloa, side of the station two through platforms (6 and 9) which also have access to the line north, and a bay platform facing south (10).
Electrification of the route north has resulted in some cutting back of the canopies.
Stirling Active Travel Hub (formlery Stirling Cycle Hub) is based at the station.
Stirling North box, north of the station, and Stirling Middle box, south of the station, are both 'A' listed. The middle box is now the largest in Scotland.
The Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum is located in Stirling, to the west of the station.
Stirling has a very fine castle, perched up above the town Stirling Castle .
Nearby the station, in a former goods shed, is the new The Engine Shed . 'A place to explore your built heritage'.
The Engine Shed is Scotland’s dedicated building conservation centre, based in Stirling. Run by Historic Environment Scotland, it serves as a central hub for building and conservation professionals and the general public.
Bridge of Allan
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Menstrie and Glenochil
| Stirling Goods|
Stirling Middle Junction
Wallace Street Mineral Depot
Shore Road Goods [NB]
Stirling North Junction
Shore Road Shed [NB]
Forth and Clyde Junction [Stirling]
Stirling South Shed
Forthbank MOD Works
Shore Road Level Crossing [CR]
Shore Road Level Crossing [NB]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1845||Scottish Central Railway|
The company is bound to provide a footbridge at the Shore Road Level Crossing [CR] by Stirling station for use when the roadway is blocked.
|01/03/1848||Scottish Central Railway|
Opened from Scottish Central Junction (Greenhill) to Stirling. Stations at Scottish Central Junction, Larbert, Bannockburn and Stirling.
|22/05/1848||Scottish Central Railway|
Opened from Stirling to Perth. Stations at: Bridge of Allan [1st], Dunblane, Kinbuck, Greenloaning, Auchterarder, Dunning, Forteviot, Forgandenny, Perth General.
|28/08/1850||Stirling and Dunfermline RailwayForth Iron Works Railway|
Opened from Dunfermline to Alloa for passengers. A branch to Alloa Harbour station from Alloa was used for passengers travelling on to Stirling by boats along the River Forth. A connection to the Forth Iron Works Railway was made at Oakley.
|13/04/1853||Scottish Central Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Agreement made for the use of Stirling station.
|12/09/1853||Scottish Central Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Operating agreement for the use of Stirling station made by Scottish Central Railway, Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.
|18/03/1856||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Railway opened from Stirling to Buchlyvie.
|/ /1859||Scottish Central Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
With the Scottish Central Railway having Consolidated, the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway is re-authorised to access Stirling station.
|/ /1864||Scottish Central Railway|
Authorisation to stop up the level crossings north and south of Dunblane station and replace them with road overline bridges. Additionally permission is granted to extend the Callander [1st] line from the junction (north) into the station (south) over the site of the northern level crossing. (Similar removal of level crossings in Stirling at a later date.)
|/ /1865||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Following the merger of the Scottish Central Railway into the Caledonian Railway the F&CJR agrees access with the Caledonian Railway to Stirling station.
|10/11/1868||Scottish Central Railway|
Decision taken to move the locomotive shed at Dunblane Shed to Dolphinton [CR] on the Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway). The Kinbuck banking engine and Callander [1st] engines operated from Stirling after 1865.
|/ /1878||Scottish Central Railway|
Craigs Crossing, south of Stirling station (and Stirling Middle Junction), is authorised to be stopped up with the road lifted onto a road bridge.
|02/07/1900||Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Dalry Road station opened. Used by Leith North, Barnton, Stirling and Falkirk Grahamston bound trains.
Alloa Bridge is badly damaged after being struck by the schooner 'Stirling' resulting in the fall of a span. The Caledonian Railway is allowed to reroute its trains to Alloa via Stirling. North British Railway trains also diverted.
|/ /1913||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling station re-built by the Caledonian Railway.
|01/10/1934||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
|05/10/1959||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Port of Menteith to Stirling (excluded) closed completely, except for sidings in Stirling.
|04/03/1964||Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Stirling and Falkirk trains diverted from Edinburgh Princes Street to Edinburgh Waverley.
|06/10/1975||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Some Perth to Edinburgh Waverley workings diverted from via Stirling to via Newburgh [2nd].
|/ /1994||Alva Railway
Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Stirling to Cambus and Menstrie (Glenochil Yeast) closed completely. The end nearest Stirling saw occasional use by tampers.
|19/05/2008||Stirling and Dunfermline RailwayKincardine Line|
The railway between Stirling and Alloa re-opens to passengers. The line between Stirling and Longannet Power Station via Alloa re-opens to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)