This signal box controlled a level crossing with a road and tramway and the approach into Stirling station for the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
The box was on the east side of the line. To the south the railway doubled on its approach to the station and a link to Stirling Shed [NB] on the east side of the F&C line. (The shed is sometimes known as Shore Road, although strictly speaking that shed was on the east side of the former Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.)
To the north the line turned west on a long gentle curve. Immediately north of the box the line crossed Causewayhead Road and the Stirling and Bridge of Allan Tramways on the level with the Clock Tower to the west and new road bridge over the River Forth to the east. Beyond was a second level crossing with Lower Bridge Street. Beyond again was Cowpark Siding.
The railway closed to passengers in 1934 but remained open to goods. It ceased to be a through route to Balloch in 1949. In 1959 it closed to Port of Menteith, although it remained open to Cowpark Siding. The box closed in 1963. Yard working for the remaining sidings ended in 1966.
The location is lost due to road improvements. The box was where at the south east part of the large roundabout by the New Bridge (1831, designed by Robert Stevenson).
Bridge of Allan
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Menstrie and Glenochil
| Wallace Street Mineral Depot|
Stirling Shed [NB]
Stirling Forth Viaduct [SCR]
Stirling Forth Viaduct [SandD]
Stirling East Signal Box
Shore Road North Signal Box
Forth and Clyde Junction [Stirling]
Shore Road Shed [NB]
Stirling North Junction
Shore Road Goods [NB]
Stirling Old Bridge
Shore Road Level Crossing [NB]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|05/10/1959||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Port of Menteith to Stirling New Bridge Signal Box (excluded) closed completely. Sidings such as Cowpark Goods in Stirling remained open.
|01/03/1963||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Stirling New Bridge Signal Box closed. (Line to Raploch Siding closed.)
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)