This was a single platform terminus with a run round loop, station building with small canopy, small signal box (akin to those on the original section of the West Highland Railway), water tank, turntable, single road, single ended locomotive shed and loading bank lines, north of the line into the station and, like the station, approached from the east. The station was in Aberfoyle itself, which was very small when the railway arrived.
To reduce costs railcars were introduced. These operated a service from here to Blanefield where a conventional train could be caught for the onward journey to Glasgow Queen Street High Level.
Alongside the station, and to the south of the run round loop, was the terminus of the Aberfoyle Slate Quarries Tramway.
The station closed to passengers in 1951 but remained open for goods and minerals. It could still be visited by railtours. The box closed in 1956. The line closed in 1959.
The site is now a car park, although the infilled turntable pit may still be found to the east. Also east of the station are railwaymen's cottages on the north side of the line, in use as houses. The line terminated behind what is now The Forth Inn.
To the north west, and once served by a coach from the station, is Loch Katrine. The Sir Walter Scott steamship still plies Loch Katrine Loch Katrine - Loch Cruises from Trossachs Pier.
Aberfoyle was very small when the railway arrived. It was largely clustered around the Bailie Nicol Jarvie Hotel at a road junction. The Aberfoyle Quarries to the north were already in operation.
Port of Menteith
Callander Ticket Platform
| Aberfoyle Shed|
Forth Viaduct [Gartmore]
Kelty Water Bridge
Lake of Menteith
Inch Talla Castle
Port of Menteith Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|05/10/1959||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle RailwayForth and Clyde Junction RailwayBlane Valley RailwayCampsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Buchlyvie Junction to Gartness Junction to Campsie Glen (Lennox Castle Siding) closed to freight. Track not lifted until early 1960s.