Island platform station with building on platform, footbridge and level crossing to west. The goods yard was on the north side of the running lines. The box, opened 1894, was by the level crossing, on the south side of the road, north side of the line. Passengers to Aberfoyle would sometimes change here. A train from Glasgow might meet a railcar.
The original layout was very simple with a single platform, with the remaining sandstone building, now a house, on it and two sidings.
The station closed to passengers in 1951. The box closed in 1956 and the line closed in 1959/1962.
Very little existed at Blanefield before the station, except the Blanefield Printworks which probably led to the station's construction despite the proximity of another station at Strathblane. Between the two was the settlement of Netherton.
There was a bottle dump to the north of the station, sandwiched between the railway, Blane Water and road.
Duntreath Castle is to the west of Blanefield.
| Blanefield Printworks|
Dunglass Quarry Siding
Mugdock Country Park Visitors Centre
Dumgoyach Standing Stones
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/07/1867||Blane Valley Railway|
Opened for passengers. Stations at Lennoxtown [2nd], Campsie Glen, Strathblane, Blanefield and Dumgoyne.
|29/09/1951||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Blane Valley Railway
Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Passenger stations closed at Aberfoyle, Gartmore, Buchlyvie, Balfron, Killearn, Dumgoyne, Blanefield, Strathblane, Campsie Glen, Lennoxtown [2nd], Milton of Campsie closed.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland