Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)

Introduction

This railway is closed. The line was built for the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The junction station, Lenzie, is still open and a service is provided by ScotRail at this station. The line was double track from Lenzie to the old terminus at Lennoxtown.






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Lenzie to Lennoxtown

This is a two platform station. There is a car park on both sides of the station and the main station building is on the Glasgow, westbound, platform.
...

More details
An Alloa service calls at the home of Fags Mags and Bags (look it up) on 3 August 2019. Meanwhile PPE seems a little excessive for filling a ticket ...
David Panton 03/08/2019
158786, on a Glasgow Queen St to Alloa stopping service, calls at Lenzie on 21st September 2018. ...
Alastair McLellan 21/09/2018
An Alloa to Glasgow Queen Street Class 170 DMU service at Lenzie in September 2018. ...
Alastair McLellan 21/09/2018
A Glasgow service calls at Lenzie on 8 September 2018. The train was delayed because the Class 365 in front was brought to an emergency stop just west ...
David Panton 08/09/2018



This junction was south of Back O Loch Halt, itself south of Kirkintilloch [2nd] station. The double track alignment of the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) from Lenzie station, to the south, was met by a goods and minerals only single track link from Woodley Junction (or Woodleys) on the former Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The connection put ...

More details

This halt was built by the London and North Eastern Railway to improve passenger facilities in the area. The station consisted of two wooden platforms.
...

More details
Looking South East from the Roundabout at New Lairdsland Road, Kirkintilloch ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2006
The site of this halt which had timber platforms. The site is now overgrown. [1988?] ...
Ewan Crawford //
Unfortunately the inevitable rubbish is slowly amounting. It is important to note that a small stream has taken shape here ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2006
Bridge carrying Industry Road in Kirkintilloch. According to the Kirkintilloch Town Plan of 1859 the building you see is the United Original Secession ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2006

This foundry was established on the south bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal, on the west side of the aqueduct over the River Luggie. The works opened in the 1830s just as railways were becoming established and made castings for the railway industry.
...

More details


This Foundry was rail served and located just south of Kirkintilloch [2nd] station. It was on the west bank of the River Luggie just north of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
...

More details

This was a two platform station. The line was double track from Lenzie to Lennoxtown [1st].
...

More details
View from the other side of Kirkintilloch's Luggie Aqueduct (Eastside tunnel) looking towards the Eastside. The canal railing can be seen reflected in ...
Donald Grant /08/2009
Here the line passed under the Luggie Aqueduct of the Forth and Clyde Canal and over the Luggie Water. The site was prone to flooding. This location ...
Ewan Crawford //
The Eastside tunnel in Kirkintilloch With the Forth and Clyde Canal running above the old railway route and the Luggie Water exiting below. ...
Donald Grant /08/2009
The former goods shed at Kirkintilloch station. The site was then a bus garage. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was the junction between the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) of 1848 and a spur from the Kelvin Valley Railway of 1878.
...

More details
Kelvin Valley West Junction looking north to Milton of Campsie. The line was double track and a double track line branched off to the right to meet ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Looking from Kelvin Valley West Junction to Kelvin Valley East Junction. A few viaduct piers remain. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987


This was a two platform station on a double track railway
...

More details
Milton of Campsie station site viewed from the east end looking towards Lennoxtown on 02 September 2018. The platforms on this side of the road bridge ...
John McIntyre 02/09/2018
Looking south through the station at Milton of Campsie with the bridge carrying the B757 road splitting the platforms. Beyond the bridge a community ...
John McIntyre 02/09/2018
Platforms at Milton of Campsie in 1987 looking to Kirkintilloch. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The station at Milton of Campsie on a snowy March day in 2009. Opened in 1848 it served the village for just over a century until the line was closed ...
David Forbes /03/2009



Another piece of old point rodding from Blane Valley Junction, just visible in a patch of cleared undergrowth on 16th December 2018.
...
Martin MacGuire 16/12/2018
I came across this relic at Blane Valley Junction on 16th December 2018. It seems to have managed to evade the Lennoxtown scrap metal goblins by ...
Martin MacGuire 16/12/2018
V1 2.6.2T approaching Lennoxtown. 67603 (1.12pm from Glasgow). Last day of passenger service between Aberfoyle and Kirkintilloch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/09/1951
64639 passing Blane Valley Jct with empty Aberfoyle coach. Last day of passenger service between Aberfoyle and Kirkintilloch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/09/1951


This station was a terminus. The station had a trainshed with a platform on the east side. The goods yard was on either side of the approaching line.
...

More details




Link to Monkland and Kirkintilloch

Known as the 'Middlemuir Branch Junction'.

This junction was south of Back O Loch Halt, itself south of Kirkintilloch [2nd] station. The double track alignment of the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) from Lenzie station, to the south, was met by a goods and minerals only single track link from Woodley Junction (or Woodleys) on the former Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The connection put ...

More details

Also known as Woodleys Junction. This was the junction between the 1826 Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and a 1848 spur from Middlemuir Junction on the [[Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway). The lines meeting here were single track. Originally the line from Middlemuir Junction was double, dropping to single immediately before the junction.
...

More details
Woodley Junction looking north. Left; line to Kirkintilloch Basin. Right; line to Middlemuir Junction on the Campsie Branch. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987




Glorat Lime Works