Middlemuir Junction (1848-1966)
Opened on the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
This junction was south of Back O Loch Halt, itself south of Kirkintilloch [2nd] station. The double track alignment of the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) from Lenzie station, to the south, was met by a goods and minerals only single track link from Woodley Junction (or Woodleys) on the former Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The connection put Lennoxtown [1st] in connection with Monklands district (the junction was also known as Monkland Junction).
The Woodley Junction line doubled just before the junction to form a double track junction. A loop on this connecting line was just south of the junction. (Originally the junction to just shy of Woodley Junction was double throughout.)
The signal box was on the west side of the junction, at the top of the cutting. Middlemuir Cottage was in the 'V' of the junction.
When the Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd] opened on the east side of the line a reversing spur, approached from the north, was added on the east side of the Lenzie fork, just south of the junction.
A little further south, also on the east side of the Lenzie line, were Woodilee Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2. These were reached by reversal from the southbound track.
The route to south of Woodley Junction and on to Bridgend Junction closed in 1959. Woodley became a reversing spur for access to the Kirkintilloch Basin.
The line closed to passengers is 1964. The railway closed altogether in 1966.
After many years as a footpath the trackbed of the double track line is now a road, the A806.
Back O Loch Halt
Milton of Campsie
Bridgend [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd]
Woodilee Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
South Bank Iron Works
J and J Hay Shipyard
Basin Iron Foundry
Kirkintilloch Precast Cement Works
Whitegates Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|