Kirkintilloch [2nd] (1848-1964)
Opened on the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station. The line was double track from Lenzie to Lennoxtown [1st].
The station site is now obliterated. The goods shed survived for many years as a garage but has also now gone. The goods yard was on the west side of the station, south end.
There was a siding for the Lion Foundry. This was initially served by reversal over the Luggie Water from the goods yard but later served from the south over a new girder bridge into the works where a reversing spur gave access to the works.
On the east side was a siding for the Kirkintilloch Gas Works [1st]. This later served a foundry (possibly an extension of the Lion Foundry?).
To the south of the station the railway passed under the Forth and Clyde Canal and over the Luggie Water at the same location. The Luggie Aqueduct had originally just carried the canal over the Luggie Water, the railway bridge was an addition. The signal box was located here on the east side of the line and south of the canal aqueduct.
The next station to the south was Back O Loch Halt, and between the stations was a branch to the east to Meiklehill Colliery.
To the north was Kelvin Valley West Junction where the line to Kilsyth (Old) (Kelvin Valley Railway) left the line to Lennoxtown [1st] (Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
The station was served by both longer distance trains from Glasgow Queen Street to Blanefield (or less frequently to Aberfoyle) and also local trains starting from [[Kirkintilloch].
The line north with routes to Lennoxtown [2nd] and Kilsyth [1st] closed to passengers in 1951.
The line north to Kelvin Valley West Junction was singled in 1958. The railway closed altogether in 1966.
Back O Loch Halt
Milton of Campsie
Bridgend [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [1st]
South Bank Iron Works
J and J Hay Shipyard
Basin Iron Foundry
Kirkintilloch Precast Cement Works
Kelvin Valley West Junction
Kirkintilloch Nickel Works
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd]
Meiklehill Colliery Quay
Whitegates Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Flooding of the Luggie
Where the railway south of Kirkintilloch [2nd] passed under the Forth and Clyde Canal it did so under an aqueduct originally built to cross the Luggie Water. The railway was sandwiched between the canal above and river below.
When the river was in spate, trains ran on water covered track below the bridge, the track not visible and a bow-wave formed by a locomotive's buffer beam.