Croy

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Croy (1842-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Perth.


Description

This is a two platform station originally serving a large area but with low population.

Somehow the station survived the closure of many other stations on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and has now found new life serving the west of Cumbernauld and as a Park and Ride station having several considerably sized carparks.

The original station building on the westbound platform was lost in the 1990s. There was a goods yard on the south side of the line, approached from the west and a siding on the north side. The signal box was on the westbound platform. It was replaced with another a little further to the west in 1907.

The signal box closed in 1964. Following closure the goods yard became the first of the car parks.

03/05/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map