Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway



Dates

  /  /1838[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1841[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs Works opens.
18/02/1842[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street Station, Glasgow, opened (originally called Dundas Street) (Date also given as the 21rst)
21/02/1842[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Service starts between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Haymarket
  /  /1844[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Banking engines tried on the Cowlairs incline between Glasgow Queen Street at Cowlairs. Rope haulage was used to assist locomotives pulling trains up this incline. The rope was dropped at the top of the incline. Brake vans were used going down into Queen Street.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Edinburgh General Station (Waverley) opened further east from Haymarket the former terminus
  /  /1846[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
01/08/1846[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Line extended from Haymarket to meet the [North British Railway] at North Bridge station.
  /  /1848[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Villas start being built by Lenzie station
  /  /1848[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Give up using banking engines on the Cowlairs incline.
05/07/1848[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Campsie Branch opened from Lenzie (called Campsie Junction) to Lennoxtown. Stations at; Campsie Junction, Kirkintilloch, Milton of Campsie, Lennoxtown.
  /  /1849[Wilsontown Morningside and Coltness Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
  /  /1850[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Some villas built by Bishopbriggs station
14/08/1862[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
  /  /1864[Alva Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Alva Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
31/07/1865[Monkland Railways]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Monkland Railways absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
01/08/1865[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1868[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Waverley station re-building starts, new station designed by James Bell
  /  /1870[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Running water becomes available at Lenzie and villa building increases
  /  /1874[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Waverley station re-building ends
  /  /1879[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street station re-built.
01/02/1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service introduced by the [North British Railway].
  /  /1888[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Improvement to Queen Street station complete. The tunnel mouth at the foot of the Cowlairs incline was opened out in preparation for the opening of a second (eastern) bore, and although the portal was built the tunnel was not.
  /  /1890[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Waverley extended following opening of the Forth Rail Bridge
  /10/1901[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New Cadder hump shunted yard opened by the [North British Railway].
12/01/1903[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service withdrawn.
  /09/1904[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Eastfield locomotive shed opened at Cowlairs.
26/08/1909[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
End of cable haulage on the Cowlairs Incline.
14/01/1929[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
South Queensferry to Dalmeny closed to passengers.
22/09/1930[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Ratho (Low level) to Kirkliston to Dalmeny Junction closed to passengers
10/12/1937[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Train crash at Castlecary when signal passed at danger (SPAD).
29/09/1951[Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway][Forth and Clyde Junction Railway][Blane Valley Railway][Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch closed to passengers.
03/03/1954[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Accident with banking engine at Queen Street station demolishes destination board.
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
  /11/1956[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New power box opened at Cowlairs.
  /  /1957[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
DMUs used for Edinburgh and Glasgow intercity service
05/10/1959[Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway][Forth and Clyde Junction Railway][Blane Valley Railway][Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Aberfoyle to Buchlyvie Junction to Gartness Junction to Campsie Glen (Lennox Castle Siding) closed to freight. Track not lifted until early 1960s.
06/01/1964[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street High Level Goods closed.
07/09/1964[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs station closed.
07/09/1964[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Kirkintilloch to Lenzie Junction closed to passengers.
  /  /1965[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street closed to steam.
  /  /1966[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Closed.
07/02/1966[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Ratho (Low level) to Kirkliston to Royal Elizabeth Yard closed to freight
  /04/1966[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs goods closed.
04/04/1966[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Lennoxtown to Kirkintilloch closed to freight.
04/04/1966[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Kirkintilloch to Lenzie Junction closed to freight.
04/04/1966[Blane Valley Railway]
[Campsie Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Closed from Lennoxtown to Lennoxtown Junction.
06/11/1967[South Queensferry Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
South Queensferry to Dalmeny Junction closed to freight
  /  /1968[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Cowlairs works closed. Alternative date: 1966.
01/01/1968[Corstorphine Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Corstorphine to Edinburgh (Haymarket West Junction) closed to passengers
05/02/1968[Corstorphine Branch] ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway])
Corstorphine to Edinburgh (Haymarket West Junction) closed to freight
  /  /1971[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
DMUs withdrawn from Edinburgh and Glasgow intercity service
  /  /1973[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Queen Street modernised.
  /06/1977[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Lenzie station buildings demolished
  /  /1978[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New building opened at Lenzie station.
05/10/1981Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
Sighthill Goods closed.
10/07/1984[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Train crash when train hits cow near Polmont. The light driving trailer of the push-pull lifted off the track. 13 were killed and 17 injured.
  /  /1989[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Bridge which carried the Pinkston Branch over Springburn Road to Port Dundas dismantled.
  /10/1992[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Eastfield Depot closed.
24/07/2001[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
6 people taken to hospital when train from Glasgow hits buffers at Waverley.

Route described

The line runs west from Edinburgh to Linlithgow, Falkirk, Lenzie and Glasgow. The route was chosen to be as level as possible and skirts round the north of the high ground south of Falkirk and the Monklands.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

Glasgow Queen Street High Level

This is a terminus with seven platforms to the north of George Square in Glasgow.
...

More

Cowlairs Tunnel

Cowlairs Tunnel (also known as Queen Street High Level Tunnel) runs north from Glasgow Queen Street High Level half way up the Cowlairs Incline to Pinkston.
...

More

Cowlairs Incline

The Cowlairs Incline is a double track mile and a quarter long uphill gradient running north from Glasgow Queen Street High Level to the former station at Cowlairs. The southern half of the route is within the Cowlairs Tunnel.
...

More

Cowlairs

This was a station located at the top of the Cowlairs Incline. The station had an island platform. Nearby was the steam engine which hauled the cable bringing trains up the incline from Glasgow Queen Street High Level.
...

More

Bishopbriggs

This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line and is served by local trains. The main building is on the Glasgow bound platform.
...

More

Cadder Yard

This was a large marshalling yard on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway built by the North British Railway. It was hump shunted. The northern part of the yard was looped and the southern part was originally a set of dead end sidings shunted from the west but later looped.
...

More

Lenzie

This is a two platform station.
...

More

Croy

This is a two platform station originally serving a large area but with low population.
...

More

Dullator

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the westbound platform. There were no goods facilities at first, but a small yard was added to the south of the line, west of the station and reached from the west.
...

More

Castlecary

This was a two platform station at the west end of the Castlecary Viaduct. To the north of the station was the Castlecary Fireclay and Lime Works which was rail served from the east.
...

More

Upper Greenhill

This was a relatively short lived station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway which was an exchange point between that line and the Scottish Central Railway also serving the local, somewhat underpopulated, area. It must have been useful for railway employees however.
...

More

Bonnybridge

This was a two platform station almost surrounded by brick works. The station was partly built on a bridge over a road, the station buildings being to the east of this and platforms extending over to the west. There was a goods yard to the south of the line, west of the station and a goods line...

More

Falkirk High

This is a two platform station in the south of Falkirk. There is a car park to the north, the former goods yard, and a new station building on the eastbound platform, replacing two typical North British Railway buildings which faced each other on each platform.
...

More

Polmont

This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line. There is a station building on the eastbound platform.
...

More

Avon Viaduct

This is a double track 23 arch viaduct, 442 yards long, west of Linlithgow station....

More

Lochmill Siding

This was a goods yard in the west of Linlithgow, west of Linlithgow station itself. The sidings were on a loop on the north side of the line. To the west is the Avon Viaduct....

More

Linlithgow

This is a two platform station. An original station building stands on the eastbound platform, a remarkable survivor. There is a car park by the station, formerly the goods yard on the south side which was on a loop south of the westbound platform. The station is towards the east end of Linlithgow,...

More

Philpstoun

This was a two platform station just to the north of the rail served Philpstoun Oil Works with which it was associated. The works had its own railway network spreading out to various oil shale mines.
...

More

Winchburgh

This was a two platform station located partly in the cutting just to the north of Winchburgh Tunnel.
...

More

Almond Valley Viaduct

This is a double track 36 arch viaduct. The viaduct crosses the River Almond. Alternative names for it are Almond Viaduct, Ratho Viaduct and Newbridge Viaduct.
...

More

Ratho

This former station gave rise to the curiosity that is Ratho Station, a small village on the edge of Edinburgh with no station. (Akin to Balfron Station or even Stromeferry (no ferry)). Ratho Station, the village, developed to the north of the station.
...

More

Gogar

The passenger and goods stations at Gogar were at different locations. Gogar is a rural area right on the western edge of Edinburgh.
...

More

Edinburgh Park

This is a two platform modern glass and steel station built in Edinburgh Park, a business park to the south of the Gyle Centre and to the west of Edinburgh.
...

More

Haymarket

This is a five platform station in the west of Edinburgh where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and Caledonian Railway divide.
...

More

Edinburgh Waverley

This is the main station in Edinburgh and acts as both a terminus and through station. The larger part of the station is covered by a large glazed roof and is an island platform with bays at either end. There is a smaller island platform outwith the main roof on the south side.
...

More