Kilpatrick

Kilpatrick

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Kilpatrick (1858-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Helensburgh.


Description

This is a two platform station. An original single storey station building remains on the westbound platform (another example survives at Cardross). The building is extended at the east end. The station is above the village, to the north.

The station had a small goods yard to the west and on the south side of the line. This was reached by reversing from the westbound line. The signal box was on the north side of line opposite the goods yard. East of the station is Lusset Glen Viaduct.

The huge RN Oil Fuel Depot Dalnottar was laid out on either side of the line to the east of the station, construction beginning in 1918 and with a pipeline over to Grangemouth on the River Forth.

The original box closed in 1941 and a temporary box used until its replacement opened in 1942.

The box closed in 1959, in the run up to electrification.

To the east the Erskine Bridge crosses over the line.

Old Kilpatrick was also served by Old Kilpatrick, a station to the south, located in the lower village nearer the River Clyde.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map