Dalreoch Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Dalreoch Junction (1858-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Opened on the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.


This is a double track junction to the immediate west of Dalreoch station.

The junction was formed when the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway met the existing Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway just west of the River Leven.

The Helensburgh route also carries West Highland Railway trains and the Balloch route formerly carried trains to Stirling.

East of Dalreoch station over the Leven Viaduct is Dumbarton Central and the line east to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level and Glasgow Central Low Level.

The originally double track Balloch line has been singled not far past the junction. The Helensburgh line remains double track and passes through the Dalreoch Tunnels just west of the junction.

The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction. It was taken over by the new Dumbarton Panel Box in 1961.




External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


28/05/1858Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox with the Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.