Location type


Name and dates

Cardross (1858-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Helensburgh.


This is a two platform station which retains its original Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway single storey station building on the eastbound platform. A similar building survives at Kilpatrick.

Car parking is provided. Cardross Station Crossing is to the immediate west of the station.

A goods yard formerly existed to the west of the level crossing, accessed by a reversing spur requiring reversal over the crossing. This was expanded with an additional siding on the south side, approached from the west, around the time of the sawmill opening. (Sidings probably saw military use with the base south of Murrays Crossing just to the west.)

A signal box had stood on the north side of the railway west of the crossing. This was resignalled for electrification in 1960, but was destroyed in a fire in 1971. A block post operated from the station building until 1984.


RSPB - Cardross Bay



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67