This is an underground island platform station with two faces.
The important Glasgow Central terminus is above street level above the station and there is a lift and escalators between the stations.
The station runs out west from under the high level station almost as far as West Campbell Street below Argyle Street.
This was originally a two island platform station with four platform faces, there was also on the north side a siding, serving a terminal two faced platform served from the east. The terminal platform and northern part of the northern island platform were exposed to the sky, the rest was covered below Argyle Street. Despite this it was a smokey station in steam days.
There were two signal boxes. Both boxes opened with the line in 1896. The east box closed in 1935, taken over by the west box. This in turn closed in 1956 during resignalling.
With re-opening in 1979 only one of the two islands closed in 1964 was brought back into use (the southern). The other remains out of use and may become part of the popular Glasgow Central station tours.
The station was damaged by the floods of 1994 when water from the River Kelvin at Kelvinbridge down the disused Yorkhill Tunnel to Exhibition Centre, Anderston and Glasgow Central Low Level stations. A train at the station, unit 314212, was almost submerged. Trains were diverted via Sunnyside Junction during the repairs.
Tours of the seldom seen parts of the station are available Glasgow Central Station Tours .
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Bridge Street [Subway]
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
| Broomielaw Quay|
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Clyde Place Quay
Clyde Place Signal Box
Charing Cross Tunnel
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
St Enoch Shopping Centre
George Square [Glasgow]
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1894||Glasgow Central Railway|
Authorisation to widen line under Glasgow Central - allowing the four platform Glasgow Central Low Level.
|10/08/1896||Glasgow Central Railway|
Maryhill Central to Glasgow Central Low Level to Glasgow Cross opened. Maryhill Central, Kirklee, Botanic Gardens, Kelvin Bridge, Stobcross, Anderston Cross and Glasgow Central Low Level stations opened.
|01/02/1897||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Airdrie [CR] trains begin to run from Glasgow Central Low Level on the Glasgow Central Railway (on opening of the line via Parkhead [CR]).
|01/10/1897||Glasgow Central Railway|
Bothwell [CR] trains run through to Glasgow Central Low Level.
|05/10/1964||Glasgow Central Railway|
Partick Central to Rutherglen closed to passengers. Partick West, Glasgow Central Low Level, Glasgow Cross, Bridgeton Cross [CR], Dalmarnock and Rutherglen closed. Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle to Newton closed to passengers. Bridgeton Cross [CR], Parkhead Stadium, Tollcross and Carmyle closed. Partick Central (excluded) to Strathclyde Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic. Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Tollcross (excluded) closed to all traffic. (The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway also closes to passengers.)
|05/11/1979||Glasgow Central Railway|
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd], Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.
|09/12/1994||Glasgow Central Railway|
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvin Bridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Glasgow Central Low Level is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.