Open on the Hamilton Circle.
This is a two platform station.
The present station is very close to the site of the first Whifflet station, originally spelled Whifflat. It was just to the south east at Whifflet South Junction.
A new station, Whifflet Low Level, was opened further north on the opening of the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) and its high level station Whifflet [High Level]. The replacement station closed in 1962.
The present Whifflet station opened with the re-opening of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway to local DMU trains from Glasgow Central High Level in 1992, operating as a terminus for that line. As the station is located on a main line, between uses these trains would wait on the parallel North British Railway to leave the line clear.
With electrification of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway the station is no longer used as a terminus with trains continuing south, most coming from locations to the west of Glasgow and passing through Glasgow Central Low Level and returning to Glasgow via Hamilton Central.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Other railway and industry locations
Whifflet East Junction
Whifflet South Junction
Whifflet North Junction
Whifflet Central Junction
Calder Hot Roll Tube Works
Lochrin Construction Works
Sheepford Mineral Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/03/1842||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Line extended to Coatbridge station. This line later extended through to Whifflet and was used by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the Caledonian Railway to avoid the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway route through Coatbridge.
|09/12/1994||Glasgow Central Railway|
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvinbridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Low Level Glasgow Central is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.