Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed. The line consisted of two parts; one from Whifflet Upper to Airdrie [CR] (the 'Airdrie Branch') and one from Airdrie [CR] to near Lanridge Junction (the 'Loop' or 'Lanarkshire Lines').

A passenger service operated over both portions the line, although passenger trains did not continue beyond Newhouse.

After closure to passengers in 1930 the Newhouse line was severed between Calderbank and Chapelhall, the Calderbank Viaduct being in poor condition. The Calderbank portion closed shortly afterwards. The line east and south of Chapelhall was worked from Bellside Junction, Cleland.

The Airdrie [CR] branch lasted longer, closing to passengers in 1943, before later being cut back to the Imperial Tube Works. It closed in the early 1990s.

Authorised as the 'Airdrie Branch' and 'Lanarkshire Lines'.






Dates

  /  /1881Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Authorisation for the Airdrie Branch granted - a group of lines called the Lanarkshire Lines. The Airdrie Branch was to run via Whifflet Upper on the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Airdrie [CR]. The 'Loop' or 'Lanarkshire Lines' were to run from Airdrie [CR] to Newhouse and beyond, making connection with the existing mineral lines, Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway), near Omoa. Branches to Chapelhall Iron Works, Calderbank Iron Works and Gartness, serving the Gartness Malleable Iron Works, also authorised.
  /  /1881Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Branch opened to the Monkland Iron and Steelworks.
  /  /1882Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Lock Street Viaduct built over the Monkland Canal to extend the line from Whifflet Upper to Airdrie [CR].
  /  /1886Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
The Chapelhall Iron Works closed in 1886, consequently the iron works branch was partly abandoned (retained as a reversing spur for Calderbank Steel Works).
  /  /1886Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Lanarkshire Lines, railway no 6 and portions of railways nos 2 and 3 abandoned.
  /  /1886Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Authorisation for the Newhouse and Chapelhall parts of the Lanarkshire Lines authorised.
19/04/1886Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened for goods from Whifflet Upper to Airdrie [CR].
19/04/1886Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie Shed [CR], a wooden shed with two roads, 42ft turntable and coal stage opened by Airdrie [CR] station. (Later a sub-shed of Dawsholm Shed.)
01/06/1886Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Whifflet Upper to Airdrie [CR] opened for passengers. Stations were Whifflet Upper, Calder and Airdrie [CR]. Whifflet Lower opened on Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway.
20/06/1887Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Gartness Branch (goods and minerals only) opened.
01/09/1887Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Cairnhill Junction to Chapelhall opened. Calderbank Iron Works branch opened. Chapelhall Iron Works branch opened (partially - the iron works closed the previous year).
02/07/1888Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Chapelhall extended to Newhouse (passengers, minerals and goods) and beyond to Lanridge Junction (goods and minerals only). Stations opened at Calderbank, Chapelhall and Newhouse.
01/02/1897Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie [CR] trains begin to run from Glasgow Central Low Level on the Glasgow Central Railway (on opening of the line via Parkhead [CR]).
05/10/1897Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie Shed [CR] expanded.
21/11/1899Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie Shed [CR] burns down.
01/05/1900Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
New Airdrie Shed CR] planned.
  /11/1900Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
New, larger, 3 road Airdrie Shed [CR] opened.
01/12/1930Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Newhouse to Airdrie [CR] closed to passengers
  /  /1939Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Chapelhall (excluded) to Calderbank (excluded) closed to freight due to the poor condition of the Calderbank Viaduct.
11/09/1939Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie Shed [CR] closed. Part of the coaling stage moved to Yoker Shed [CR].
31/07/1941Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Calderbank to Airdrie [CR] (excluded) closed to freight.
03/05/1943Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie [CR] to Whifflet Upper closed to passengers
06/07/1964Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie [CR] to Imperial Tube Works (excluded) closed to freight.
04/04/1966Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Bellside Junction (excluded) to Newhouse to Chapelhall closed.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Whifflet to Airdrie

This was the junction between the 1886 Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway). The Airdrie line extended the existing railway east to Airdrie [CR] and was approached from the east. This was a double track junction. The signal box was on the south side of the line.
...

More details

See also
Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway)
320 417 with the 1158 Whifflet to Dalmuir shortly after Whifflet North Jct. The location has changed quite considerably see image 60224 and it was ...
Alastair McLellan 03/08/2017
Whifflet North Jct, viewed from close to Rosehall Junction, in 1980 with a Class 25 on lightly loaded train of 16T mineral wagons. R.B.Tennants was ...
Alastair McLellan //1980
Approximately midway along the south-western side of the Whifflet North Jn. / Langloan West Jn. / Coatbridge Jn. triangle was Rosehall Junction which ...
Bill Jamieson 07/03/1971
3 of 3 images.


This was an island platform station elevated above street level and crossing over Whifflet Lower (to the west) and Whifflet [NB] (to the east), and Coatbank Street. Much of the station still exists, increasingly overgrown. From the east end the embankment and bridges have been removed.
...

More details
View west over the A725 roundabout at Whifflet from alongside Faraday Retail Park in the summer of 2006. The lattice girder bridge and truncated ...
John Furnevel 03/03/2006
320411 seen shortly after leaving Whifflet on a Cumbernauld service on 7th May 2019. The EMU is passing below what was the overbridge of the Airdrie ...
Alastair McLellan 07/05/2019
Motherwell based Standard Mogul 76000, recently arrived at Whifflet Upper station on 1 August 1961 at the head of a train from Maryhill Central. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/08/1961
Whifflet Upper in 2001. The Whifflet Foundry is in the background and Whifflet North Junction is on the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //2001
4 of 9 images. more






This was a two platform station with a goods yard approached by a very long siding from the west to the north of it. This same goods branch served the Union Tube Works. The main station building was on the westbound platform. The line was on a raised embankment.
...

More details
The trackbed of the Rutherglen & Coatbridge railway looking towards Airdrie in May 2019 with the overbridge of Lock St first and the Calder Viaduct in ...
Alastair McLellan 06/05/2019
The remains of Calder station looking west in 2001. The trackbed reverted to nature pretty rapidly after closure of the line to Imperial Steelworks in ...
Ewan Crawford //2001
The SLS Glasgow South Railtour stands at Calder station on 9 June 1962 behind McIntosh ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 no 57581. ...
K A Gray 09/06/1962
4 of 6 images. more


This disused six span double track girder viaduct, also known as the Calder Viaduct, is east of Calder station and west of Cairnhill Junction. It is around 375 feet long. The viaduct formerly crossed over the Monkland Canal immediately east of the Sheepford Locks. Also known as the Calder Viaduct or Lock Street Viaduct.
...

More details
A view of Calder Viaduct from the infilled Monkland Canal on 6th May 2019.
...
Alastair McLellan 06/05/2019
On the former Caledonian route between Whifflet and Airdrie, the line was carried on a long plate girder viaduct over the Monkland Canal. The last ...
John Furnevel 02/08/2006
The trackbed on Calder Viaduct looking towards Airdrie in May 2019. This now forms part of the National Cycle Path No.75 which runs between Edinburgh ...
Alastair McLellan 06/05/2019
The mighty plate-girder viaduct that once carried the R&C extension over the Monkland Canal just to the east of Calder station between Whifflet and ...
John Furnevel 02/08/2006
4 of 9 images. more


Loading bay for pipes inside Imperial Tubeworks in 1987. The sidings were out of use and two redundant shunters were at the far end beside the access ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
1 of 1 images.


This was a junction in Airdrie, the western apex of a triangle of lines. To the west the line ran west to Whifflet Upper, to the north it approached the Airdrie [CR] terminus via Airdrie Junction, and to the east it divided at Gartness Junction to run east Gartness Colliery and south east to Chapelhall. The lines opened in 1886/7.
...

More details
An evening walk along the Airdrie Branch included passing the site of Cairnhill Junction, here looking towards Whifflet with the junction to the ...
Alastair McLellan 06/09/2019
A view of Cairnhill Junction in September 2019 where the line to Airdrie (CR) diverged to the left and the line to Calderbank and Newhouse turned to ...
Alastair McLellan 06/09/2019
2 of 2 images.


This junction was to the south of Airdrie [CR] terminus station on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) which opened in 1886 between Whifflet Upper (Rosehall Junction) and Newhouse (Legbrannock Branch Junction). This junction was at the northern apex of a triangle of junctions formed with Cairnhill Junction to the west and Gartness Junction to the south.
...

More details


This was the finest station in Airdrie, a large terminus with a glazed trainshed covering two platforms - two faces of an island platform - and a circulating area. There was a goods yard to the east. The station was to the south of Graham Street and approached from the south. The signal box was to the south, closer to Airdrie Junction and on the west side of the line.
...

More details





Airdrie to Newhouse

This was the 'Loop' or 'Lanarkshire Lines'.

This was the finest station in Airdrie, a large terminus with a glazed trainshed covering two platforms - two faces of an island platform - and a circulating area. There was a goods yard to the east. The station was to the south of Graham Street and approached from the south. The signal box was to the south, closer to Airdrie Junction and on the west side of the line.
...

More details


Airdrie Shed [CR] was originally a wooden shed with two roads, 42ft turntable and coal stage opened south of the Airdrie [CR] terminus. It was a sub-shed of Dawsholm Shed.
...

More details


This junction was to the south of Airdrie [CR] terminus station on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) which opened in 1886 between Whifflet Upper (Rosehall Junction) and Newhouse (Legbrannock Branch Junction). This junction was at the northern apex of a triangle of junctions formed with Cairnhill Junction to the west and Gartness Junction to the south.
...

More details


This was a four way junction and also formed part of a triangular junction. The junction was south of Airdrie on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) on a network of lines which opened in 1887. The lines were all double track at the junction.
...

More details


This junction was just west of Calderbank station. Here a single track line left the double track main line which then passed under the main line just to the east of the station and approached the Calderbank Steel Works from the north, meeting the works own line.
...

More details


This was a two platform station to the north of Calderbank. There was a goods yard to the south of the station, approached from the east.
...

More details
The site of Calderbank station has been completely landscaped and Calderbank Road re-aligned. This view looks south east from the station site in ...
Ewan Crawford 03/05/1997
1 of 1 images.


This was a double track girder viaduct just east of Calderbank station and west of the Chapelhall Iron Works.
...

More details
One of the two central piers remains of the double track Calderbank Viaduct which was closed to traffic around 1941 leaving Chapelhall at the end of a ...
Ewan Crawford //2001
1 of 1 images.


This was a two platform station to the west of the village of Chapelhall. The line north and west to Calderbank and Airdrie [CR] was double track. Going south east to Newhouse it dropped to a single track. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a waiting room on the southbound.
...

More details
The 'Glasgow South Railtour' of 9 June 1962, with 57581 running round at Chapelhall - north end of the closed station. Although the line had continued ...
K A Gray 09/06/1962
The SLS 'Glasgow South Rail Tour' stands at Chapelhall on 9 June 1962 behind McIntosh 3F 0-6-0 no 57581. ...
K A Gray 09/06/1962
3 of 3 images.




This station had two platforms and a goods yard at south end, east side, approached from south. The main building was on the northbound platform. It had a loop on an otherwise single track line. The signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform
...

More details
Remains at Newhouse looking south on 3 May 1997. Passenger services on the route from Airdrie (Caledonian) ceased in 1930 although the line remained ...
Ewan Crawford 03/05/1997
57581 stands at Newhouse with an SLS railtour on 9 June 1962. ...
K A Gray 09/06/1962
4 of 4 images.





















Airdrie Curve

This was a junction in Airdrie, the western apex of a triangle of lines. To the west the line ran west to Whifflet Upper, to the north it approached the Airdrie [CR] terminus via Airdrie Junction, and to the east it divided at Gartness Junction to run east Gartness Colliery and south east to Chapelhall. The lines opened in 1886/7.
...

More details
An evening walk along the Airdrie Branch included passing the site of Cairnhill Junction, here looking towards Whifflet with the junction to the ...
Alastair McLellan 06/09/2019
A view of Cairnhill Junction in September 2019 where the line to Airdrie (CR) diverged to the left and the line to Calderbank and Newhouse turned to ...
Alastair McLellan 06/09/2019
2 of 2 images.


This was a four way junction and also formed part of a triangular junction. The junction was south of Airdrie on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) on a network of lines which opened in 1887. The lines were all double track at the junction.
...

More details





Gartness Branch

This was a four way junction and also formed part of a triangular junction. The junction was south of Airdrie on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) on a network of lines which opened in 1887. The lines were all double track at the junction.
...

More details