Lanridge Junction (1864-1964)
Opened on the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This junction was north of Cleland and Langbyres Junction. It was the junction between the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) and its short branch to Lanridge Colliery, both opened in 1864. The colliery line was on the west side and approached from the south.
The junction was on the west/south side of North and South Road. Both lines were single track.
In 1888 the colliery line was extended to Airdrie [CR] from Legbrannock Branch Junction, a junction just north of Lanridge Junction. Probably round this time the signal box at Lanridge Junction opened. This was located on the west side of the junction.
A little to the north, on the Salsburgh branch, was a loop and mineral lines to various pits of the Greenhill Colliery.
The box closed in 1933 when replaced by a ground frame. The Salsburgh branch remained open until 1964 and the Airdrie route remained open as far as Chapelhall until 1966.
The cutting of the line remains, now in farmland.
Other railway and industry locations
Greenhill Colliery Auchinlea Pit No 10
Greenhill Colliery Pit No 4
North Auchinlee Quarry and Brick Works
Greenhill Colliery Biggarford Pit
North Shaws Colliery
Greenhill Colliery Pits Nos 9 and 12
Legbrannock Branch Junction
Linridge Colliery Pit No 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|