Calderbank

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Calderbank (1887-1930)

Opened on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This was a two platform station to the north of Calderbank. There was a goods yard to the south of the station, approached from the east.

To the west of the station was Calderbank Steel Works Junction. Here a branch came off to the north which then passed under the line to reach Calderbank Steel Works from the north, on the west bank of the North Calder River. This met the line of the Calderbank Iron Company which was served by the Calderbank Iron Works Branch (Monkland Railways) from 1855.

To the east of the station the line crossed the steel works branch and then crossed the Calderbank Viaduct.

The line was singled in 1939. 'Calderbank Station' signal box was at the east end of the station and on the north side of the line. To the west the line passed over the Calderbank works line and to the east was Calderbank Viaduct. The box closed in 1939.

Calderbank viaduct fell out of use in 1941. The goods yard of the station and approach to the steel works probably closed around the same time, but remained in place for longer.

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map


Dates

  /  /1790Monkland Canal
Andrew Stirling of Drumpellier and William Stirling and Company take over canal and decide to extend it west to the Forth and Clyde Canal in Glasgow and east to Calderbank.
  /  /1939Airdrie and Newhouse Line (Caledonian Railway)
Chapelhall to Calderbank closed to freight.
31/07/1941Airdrie and Newhouse Line (Caledonian Railway)
Calderbank to Airdrie [CR] closed to freight.