This was a two platform station to the west of the village of Chapelhall. The line north and west to Calderbank and Airdrie [CR] was double track. Going south east to Newhouse it dropped to a single track. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a waiting room on the southbound.
The signal box was at the north end of the southbound platform.
The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north.
To the north west the line had sidings for the Chapelhall Iron Works (the works closed in 1886 - bad timing! but the site continued as a headshunt for the Calderbank Steel Works) and continued over Calderbank Viaduct to reach Calderbank.
The station closed to passengers in 1930. The Calderbank viaduct had deteriorated and the line was singled to the north west in 1934 and closed west of the iron works about 1941.
The remainder from Chapelhall to Bellside Junction, now largely pruned of sidings, closed in 1966. A works on the iron works site was rail served until the end (marked disused 1959). It would have been approached by an awkward reversal on a short length at the site of the viaduct.
The site has been partly built over and partly landscaped.
Clarkston (West Moffat)
Airdrie Hallcraig Street
| Chapelhall Iron Works|
Monkland Iron and Steelworks
Calderbank Steel Works
Woodend Colliery [Calderbank]
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Calderbank Steel Works Junction
Dunsiston Colliery Pits Nos 4 and 5
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Gartness Malleable Iron Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1886||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation for the Newhouse and Chapelhall parts of the Lanarkshire Lines authorised.
|01/09/1887||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Cairnhill Junction to Chapelhall opened. Calderbank Iron Works branch opened. Chapelhall Iron Works branch opened (partially - the iron works closed the previous year).
|02/07/1888||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Chapelhall extended to Newhouse (passengers, minerals and goods) and beyond to Lanridge Junction (goods and minerals only). Stations opened at Calderbank, Chapelhall and Newhouse.
|/ /1939||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Chapelhall (excluded) to Calderbank (excluded) closed to freight due to the poor condition of the Calderbank Viaduct.
|04/04/1966||Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Bellside Junction (excluded) to Newhouse to Chapelhall closed.