Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This was a minerals and goods line. It was also known as the Drumbowie Branch.

Why built

The line served the area previously served by tramways of the Omoa Iron Works and Legbrannock Railway and extended to pits on the high ground north of Salsburgh, close to an area formerly largely served by the Monkland Railways.




Dates

  /  /1846Wishaw and Coltness Railway
Branch authorised to Goodockhill. (Not built. Served by the Legbrannock Railway Extension and later served by the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway).)
  /  /1861Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Line authorised as the Drumbowie Branch or Lanridge Branch.
01/12/1864Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway) Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Extension of the former Wishaw and Coltness Railway's Cleland Branch to Morningside [CR] (Newarthill and Morningside Branch) opened to goods.
01/12/1864Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Salsburgh Branch (Drumbowie Branch or Lanridge Branch) opened to goods.
01/03/1869Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway)
Bellside Junction to Langbyres Junction (Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)), the Drumbowie curve, opened to goods and minerals.
  /  /1881Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Authorisation for the Airdrie Branch granted - a group of lines called the Lanarkshire Lines. The Airdrie Branch was to run via Whifflet Upper on the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Airdrie [CR]. The 'Loop' or 'Lanarkshire Lines' were to run from Airdrie [CR] to Newhouse and beyond, making connection with the existing mineral lines, Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway), near Omoa. Branches to Chapelhall Iron Works, Calderbank Iron Works and Gartness, serving the Gartness Malleable Iron Works, also authorised.
04/04/1966Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Bellside Junction (excluded) to Newhouse to Chapelhall closed.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.



This junction opened with the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) in 1869. It linked that line via a curve (the Drumbowie Branch) from west to north to meet the 1864 Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) at Langbyres Junction.
...

More details

See also
Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway)


This was a junction on the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway). An 1869 curve from Bellside Junction on the Caledonian^s main line between Edinburgh and Glasgow (Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) met the existing line between Drumbowie Junction and Duntillan Quarry (the 1864 Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)) here.
...

More details


This junction was north of Cleland and Langbyres Junction. It was the junction between the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) and its short branch to Lanridge Colliery, both opened in 1864. The colliery line was on the west side and approached from the south.
...

More details




This siding, loop and signal box were north of Lanridge Junction on the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway). The facilities were largely associated with the mineral lines serving the Greenhill Colliery mines.
...

More details




This goods station was west of the village of Salsburgh.
...

More details
View south at Salsburgh Goods in September 2013. This section of the line looking back towards Cleland see image 28204 closed in 1956. A mineral ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2013
1 of 1 images.