This line extended the Cleland Branch of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway to meet the Coltness Branch of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway by the Coltness Ironworks and continued to Morningside [CR]. Marked as the Cleland Branch Extension on OS maps.
|/ /1861||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
An extension of the Cleland branch to Morningside [CR] is promoted. The branch will serve numerous mines and the Coltness Iron Works, avoiding the Morningside Incline of the existing route to Morningside [1st]. It also provides possible access to Edinburgh over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway owned Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway. The Morningside [CR] extension of the Cleland branch predates its extension east through Shotts to Midcalder.
|01/12/1864||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)
Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Extension of the former Wishaw and Coltness Railway's Cleland Branch to Morningside [CR] opened to goods.
|15/05/1867||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Line opened to passengers. New stations at Cleland [1st], Newmains and a new Morningside [CR].
|01/12/1930||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Morningside [CR] to Holytown (Cleland Junction) closed to passengers.
|/ /1947||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Newmains (excluded) to Cleland [1st] closed to freight.
|05/02/1951||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Morningside [CR] (excluded) to Newmains (excluded) closed to freight.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was a single platform station with a one storey small station building. The platform was on the north side of the line. To the south, approached from the east, was the goods yard and a siding which ran on to the Sunnyside Colliery. Spindleside Colliery Pits Nos 6 and 7 opened to the east.
This was a station and junction. The station had a single platform on the 1864 single track line from Morningside [CR] to Drumbowie Junction. The platform was on the east side of the line. The goods yard was to the east, accessed from the north.
This junction opened when the 1901 Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway) met the1864 Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
This junction was to the north of the Coltness Iron Works. Both the Caledonian Railway and the North British Railway had a connection to the Coltness Iron Works Railway here and this box controlled the junction between the two railway companies. The signal box was provided by the NB.