Wishaw and Coltness Railway

Introduction

This line is largely open. The line was initially called the Glenturk and Garion Railway. Today it is a part of the West Coast Main Line between Motherwell and Wishaw. The line was planned to run from Coatbridge to Jerviston to Wishaw. A branch from Jerviston to Cleland was added, which opened first. Further lines went on to Morningside. Closed sections run in Cleland and from Wishaw to Morningside via Coltness.






Dates

  /  /1829[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Act receives Royal assent. Line gauge was 4ft6in and was extended slowly south from Whifflet.
20/03/1841[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Wishaw and Overtown stations opened.
  /10/1841Wishaw and Coltness Railway
Line completed to Chapel near the Coltness Iron Works.
  /03/1842Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Line extended to Coatbridge station. This line later extended through to Whifflet and was used by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the Caledonian Railway to avoid the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway route through Coatbridge.
08/05/1843[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
A new passenger and goods service started. Called at; Morningside, Stirling Road, Overtown Road, Wishaw, Motherwell, Holytown, Carnbroe Iron Works and Coatbridge ([Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]). There was a through coach to Glasgow.
  /  /1846[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Locomotives provided by R&W Hawthorn of Newcastle from 1846 to 1848.
  /  /1847[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Converted to standard gauge.
  /  /1849[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Wishaw and Coltness Railway merged with Caledonian Railway.
08/10/1857[Motherwell Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line opened from Jerviston Junction ([Wishaw and Coltness Railway]) to Lesmahagow Junction ([Clydesdale Junction Railway]). The line allowed Motherwell station to be moved further west from Flemington to Lesmahagow Junction. Motherwell (Old) became Flemington and Motherwell (New) was opened in the V of the junction at Lesmahagow Junction. A large viaduct was required by Braidhurst.
01/06/1880[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Wishaw re-named Wishaw South.
01/10/1881[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Overtown closed.
  /  /1915[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
The Motherwell shed turntable is out of use due to mine works in the immediate area.
  /  /1930[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Newmains to Cleland Junction closed to freight.
01/12/1930[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Morningside to Holytown (Cleland Junction) closed to passengers.
05/02/1951[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Morningside to Newmains closed to freight.
15/09/1958[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Wishaw South closed.
  /04/1970[Caledonian Railway]
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
[Clydesdale Junction Railway]
[Polloc and Govan Railway]
[Glasgow Central Station]
West Coast Main line electrification authorised.
06/05/1974[Caledonian Railway]
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
[Clydesdale Junction Railway]
[Polloc and Govan Railway]
[Glasgow Central Station]
Glasgow Central to Carlisle electrification complete.
11/08/1981[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Freightliner terminal, Coatbridge, to Mossend yard electrified.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Whifflet to Omoa

This junction is to the south of Whifflet station. It was formed in 1845 when the 1834 portion of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway was met by the Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway).
...

More details
66746 in Belmont Royal Scot livery hauling the the North bound Alumina train from North Blyth to Fort William on the 15/12/16 approaching Whifflet ...
Alastair McLellan 15/12/2016
Services terminating at Whifflet have to clear the through line by
...
David Panton 17/06/2010
View north over Whifflet South Junction in 1987. Caley line on left, NB line on right. The RB Tennent Ltd Whifflet Foundry in the right background was ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Looking north at Whifflet South Junction. The distant unit, on the right, is located roughly where the Wishaw and Coltness Railway connected with the ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009

This was the junction from which the 1828 Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway was extended south in 1834 by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. From the same junction the Rosehall Railway ran south to the Rosehall Colliery.
...

More details
At Whifflet South Junction (in the background) the Gartsherrie North Junction - Coatbridge Central - Whifflet extension of the Garnkirk and Glasgow ...
Bill Roberton //2001
The signal box at Whifflet East Junction, as viewed from Whifflet Street bridge on 7 March 1971, with the RB Tennent works in the background. It ...
Bill Jamieson 07/03/1971

View taken on the A725 southbound under the B7070. At this point the road follows the course of the former GBH&CR south from Coatbridge to Bellshill. ...
Michael Gibb 27/06/2010

Calder Iron Works signal box controlled the southern approach to the Calder Iron Works from the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. The works approach was on the east side of the line and approached from the south. The junction was located on a bridge over the North Calder Water. The signal box was on the east side and just to the south of the junction.
...

More details

This signal box was on the west side of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. It controlled access to Calder Iron Works and Carnbroe Iron Works and replaced both Calder Iron Works Signal Box [CR] and Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box in 1914.
...

More details

This signal box was on the east side of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway to the south of where the sidings of the Carnbroe Iron Works joined the main line. The works was approached from the south.
...

More details


This signal box was between Carnbroe North Signal Box and Burnhouse Weighs Signal Box. It was on the west side of the line. Just to the east was Orchard Farm. It opened in 1900 (earlier than the north box which opened in 1914).
...

More details
Approaching Mossend Marshalling Yard from the north is a 47 hauled passenger train. It is about to pass under the A8. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This tunnel was in the Carnbroe Estate and was opened out in 1855. It was on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway between, using modern references, the M8 (to the north) and Mossend Marshalling Yard (to the south). The tunnel may have been twin bore.
...

More details




This junction and signal box was at the north end of what became Mossend Marshalling Yard.
...

More details
37423 heads south to Mossend with an oil train. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
37423 heading north out of Mossend light engine. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Busy little 08s shunting at the north end of Mossend Marshalling Yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Busy little 08s shunting at the north end of Mossend Marshalling Yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This once large yard spans both sides of the railway at Mossend. Today the yard consists of loops on either side of the line with freight depots on the west side and a fenced Euroterminal depot on the east side.
...

More details
A 27 languishes at Mossend awaiting disposal. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Coal yard at Mossend. View looks north. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
SPT liveried 314209 passing through Mossend Yard in July 1996 heading for Motherwell. ...
John Furnevel 01/07/1996
Since removal of the bing at the north end of Mossend Yard it has become much harder to get an overview of the yard. This was my attempt in 2001. The ...
Ewan Crawford //2001

This junction is just north of the former Mossend station and just south of Mossend Marshalling Yard.
...

More details
68006, on the empty coaching stock movement from Edinburgh to Motherwell, passing through Mossend Yard on 6th March 2019. It is very difficult to get ...
Alastair McLellan 06/03/2019
A 156 heads south through Mossend Yard in 2001. ...
Ewan Crawford //2001

Holytown [1st] station closed when this station, just to the north, opened with two platforms on the line south and east and a further two platforms on the west to north curve of the Mossend junctions.
...

More details
Iron ore from Hunterston Terminal to Ravenscraig Steelworks is hauled out of Mossend Yard by 37099, 37010 and 37210 on 7 June 1990. ...
Bill Roberton 07/06/1990
A class 37 brings a freight into the south end of Mossend yard in the summer of 1996. ...
John Furnevel 01/07/1996

This is a double track junction between the line north to Coatbridge Central and south to Motherwell and the line east to [[Shotts]. It is just to the south of the Mossend Marshalling Yard. This the the northern of the Mossend junctions.
...

More details
Looking south over Mossend North Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This is a three way junction south east of the Mossend Marshalling Yard on the Glasgow Central - Shotts - Edinburgh Waverley route.
...

More details
Freightliner heading east and about to turn south at Mossend East Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Approaching Mossend East Junction from the east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Freightliner-hauled container train passing Mossend East Junction in 2002. ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
Freight at Mossend East Junction in 2002. ...
Ewan Crawford //2002


This is a minimal two platform station. There is a car park on the north side.
...

More details
156 511 speeds through with a Glasgow Central - Edinburgh semi-fast. 28 September. ...
Bill Roberton 28/09/2018
Colas Rail 70810 on the Oxwellmains Lafarge to Viewpark Colas tanks through Holytown on 3rd May 2019. ...
Alastair McLellan 03/05/2019
DB Cargo no.66103 passes Holytown working 4E99 from Mossend Euroterminal to Tees Dock BSC Export Berth ...
Ken Browne 09/03/2017
Scotrail 156439 slows to call at Holytown on an Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Central stopping service on 3rd May 2019. ...
Alastair McLellan 03/05/2019

This junction is east of Holytown station. The lines to Edinburgh via Midcalder Junction and Carlisle via Law Junction divide here, the latter being a Motherwell bypass, ideal for limited stop trains and freight from the Mossend Marshalling Yard.
...

More details
Virgin Trains 11-car Pendolino at Holytown Junction on 3rd May 2019 forming the 1S37 London Euston to Glasgow Central service.
...
Alastair McLellan 03/05/2019
1S34 Virgin Voyager brings the early morning Crewe to Glasgow Central service across Holytown Junction on 3rd May 2019.
See
Alastair McLellan 03/05/2019
Looking east to Holytown Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987


This is a two platform station with a car park on the south side. the car park was formerly the goods yard and featured a large double height loading bank with two faces.
...

More details
Carfin at 0835 today, taken by a colleague, with 86638 running light locomotive. ...
Iain Teaz 24/02/2019
A road-cone relaxes on the embankment on the curved section of the Wishaw Deviation line just south of Holytown Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Carfin looking east in 1987. Noted for its Grotto. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
An Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Central via Shotts train calls at Carfin in February 2006. View west towards Holytown Junction from the B7066 road ...
John Furnevel 13/02/2006

This junction was formed in 1869 when the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) opened. It met the much older 1834 Wishaw and Coltness Railway Cleland branch here, built to serve collieries and the Omoa Iron Works (1789-1868).
...

More details





Mossend to Morningside

This is a double track junction between the line north to Coatbridge Central and south to Motherwell and the line east to [[Shotts]. It is just to the south of the Mossend Marshalling Yard. This the the northern of the Mossend junctions.
...

More details
Looking south over Mossend North Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This station was located close to today's Mossend North Junction and the Mossend Marshalling Yard.
...

More details

At Milnwood Junction, just south of the former Holytown [1st] and south of the former Mossend station and Mossend Marshalling Yard, lines from Bellshill, Mossend and Holytown meet. To the south was Jerviston Junction and the lines to Clydesdale Steel Works.
...

More details
Looking south at Mossend South Junction. The former Clydesdale Steelworks are on the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //
View over Milnwood / Mossend South Junction with lines diverging to Holytown, Coatbridge Central and Bellshill. In the background is British Steel ...
Bill Roberton 01/05/1991
Aerial view of the junctions to the south of Mossend Yard looking west. Note the Freightliner on the north to east curve. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This junction was north of Jerviston Viaduct. It was the junction between the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and a colliery branch to a coal pit at Cleekhimin.
...

More details
A view taken from the bing a short distance down the out of use branch from Jerviston Junction (New) to the former BSC Ravenscraig Number 3 Sidings. ...
Ewan Crawford 10/05/2008


This was a ten arch single track wooden viaduct over the South Calder Water. The piers were stone. The viaduct was on the course of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. Also known as the Camp Viaduct.
...

More details



This station was located on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway where it was met by the Clydesdale Junction Railway. The station was just east of the junction.
...

More details


The first, and short lived, station in Motherwell was on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway close to Merry Street, on a section of line now closed which was to the north of the present main line alignment.
...

More details

This signal box was to the south east of Motherwell Junction station (closed 1885) and located on the north side of the line.
...

More details

The Dalzell Steel Works was developed alongside the existing Dalzell Malleable Iron Works of 1871, the West Coast Main Line (just south of Motherwell station and close to [[Motherwell Junction) by David Colville and Son. The malleable iron works were just to the south and now part of the steel works site.
...

More details
Aerial view Dalzell Steelworks looking south-east. The works is served by a short branch. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This box was on the south side of the West Coast Main Line at the point where the lines to the Dalzell Steel Works branched off to the north west. It replaced Colville's Sidings Signal Box (see entry for main details).
...

More details

This signal box replaced Windmillhill box (the name of the area to the immediate south) in 1890. The box was just north west of Flemington station and controlled access to two branches.
...

More details

This two platform was to the east of Motherwell in an area of rapid industrialisation.
...

More details

Flemington Coal Yard. Ahead the line ran to Shieldmuir. The bridge has been removed. In the background from left to right is Ravenscraig. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Flemington Coal Yard. Ahead the line ran to the buffer stops and behind the branch ran to a south east facing junction at Shieldmuir. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The removed bridge over the B754 for the Flemington coal yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
View from the removed bridge over the B754 for Flemington Coal yard. Two (!) 8Xs head south with the limestone empties from Ravenscraig for Shap. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


This was a large junction and west end of a yard which commenced at Shieldmuir Junction to the east.
...

More details
With the WCML out of sight off to the left and BSC Dalzell in the distance on the right this view looks west at the former six tracks wide bridge over ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The sign read 'Exit from Ravenscraig by this route is strictly forbidden', although judging by the footpath this wasn't much of a deterrent. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This is a minimal modern two platform station. The platforms are linked by a footbridge which predates the station. To the east is Shieldmuir Junction where the connection to Wishaw station leaves the line through Motherwell and the west end of the Shieldmuir Mail Centre loop connects to the main line.
...

More details
A 6-car 334 set pulls into Shieldmuir with the hourly Lanark direct service on 29 April. A new housing development is now underway on land off to the ...
David Panton 29/04/2009
Class 90 on test run at what was to become Shieldmuir station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
A Lanark - Dalmuir train, formed by unit 318266, pulls into Shieldmuir station on 22 March 2006. ...
John Furnevel 22/03/2006
The Network Rail monitoring and measurement train speeds south through Shieldmuir station in March 2006. ...
John Furnevel 22/03/2006

This is the junction where the single track to Wishaw leaves the main line south east of Motherwell station. The main line is double track, the connecting line is single track.
...

More details

This was at the junction for the Wishaw Iron Works. This was one of the entries into the Wishaw Estate Railway. The works was served by that line from the north east.
...

More details



This was a two platform station. It was the first station in Wishaw.
...

More details

This signal box was on the south side of the line between Wishaw South station (west) and Overtown [1st] station (east).
...

More details


This was a two platform station. It was just to the north of Overtown itself. (Much closer than Overtown [2nd], to the north, which replaced this station and was closer to Waterloo.)
...

More details

This junction was the location where the Wishaw and Coltness Railway (this portion opened around 1842) was met by the Caledonian Railway in 1848. The Caledonian used the W&C as part of its approach to Glasgow and to the north.
...

More details
Aerial view of Garriongill Junction. Bottom left to top centre (Stirling Road); W&CR. Low left to centre right (Law Junction); Wishaw Deviation. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This signal box was located at the east end of loops, which began at Garriongill Junction (formed with the Caledonian Railway in 1848), and was at the incline foot of the single track Morningside Incline which ran uphill to the East North East.
...

More details

This station was on the west side of Stirling Road. The station may only have ever been called Carluke (or Carluke and Lanark), whether it remained open or re-opened after 1848 (the opening of the Caledonian Railway which actually reached Carluke) is in doubt. The Caledonian Railway, having subsumed the Wishaw and Coltness Railway called the goods station here Stirling Road.
...

More details

This junction is closed. It was formed between the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the line to the Coltness Iron Works. Serving this works was one of the main reasons for the building the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
...

More details
Looking east at the site of the former Stirling Road station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
New line laid in at Stirling Road for Watsonhead. Line to Costain in background. The new line occupies the former route east to Morningside. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The (then) new sidings for opencast coal being laid in at Stirling Road in 2000. The branch to Costain runs round to the left. Both are now closed. ...
Ewan Crawford //2000
View north east from the A73 road bridge south of Newmains in May 1971 as a Clayton brings a lengthy freight out of the Costain cement works to join ...
John Furnevel 03/05/1971

Established by Henry Houldsworth (1770-1853) in 1839.
...

More details





This junction was formed in 1864 between the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway) and the 1844 extension to Morningside [CR] of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
...

More details

This station was on the west side of Morningside Road. It was effectively a terminus although a bridge over the road connected the line to the North British Railway's Morningside [NBR] station on the east side of the road. The station probably opened in connection with the new line to Newmains opened in 1864, passengers 1867.
...

More details
Not far from Morningside (behind the camera) looking to Stirling Road on a December evening in 1987. The Coltness Iron Company (later Costain) line ...
Ewan Crawford /12/1987


The Wishaw and Coltness Railway reached Morningside around 1844 from Carluke [1st] (reached 1842) - a short distance of around 2/3 of a mile. The extension was probably driven to reach the under construction Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway rather than a desire to reach Morningside itself. It did service the Chapel Colliery in passing.
...

More details