Abington

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Abington (1848-1965)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station with passing loops on either side of the line just to the north. The passing loops remain in use today but nothing remains of the station except nearby railway cottages and the former station forecourt. A siding here is in permanent way maintenance use.


Tags

Station





Dates

15/02/1848Caledonian Railway
Beattock to Glasgow (Buchanan Street) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot on its main line are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.