Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway






Dates

  /  /1843Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway renamed the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway for its extension to Coatbridge [CR].
  /02/1843Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway extended from Gartsherrie to new Coatbridge [CR], initially a terminus. (This line later extended through to Whifflet South Junction and was used by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the Caledonian Railway to avoid the more tortuous Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway route with level crossings through Coatbridge.)
08/05/1843Wishaw and Coltness Railway
A new passenger and goods service started. Called at; Morningside [CR] (presumably from 1844), Carluke [1st], Overtown Road, Wishaw [1st], Motherwell [1st], Holytown [1st], Carnbroe and (presumably after 1845 when its southern approach opened) Coatbridge [CR] (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway). There was a through coach to Glasgow.
  /  /1844Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Extension to Summerlee and Whifflet authorised.
  /  /1844Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Extension to Port Dundas authorised.
  /07/1844Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
With an extension to Coatbridge [CR] in hand the line is renamed the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway.
  /  /1845Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Extended from Coatbridge [CR] to Whifflet South Junction. Whifflet [CR] station opened.
  /  /1845Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Passing of an Act to allow the line to be re-gauged from 4ft 6in to standard gauge.
01/01/1846Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway Caledonian Railway
Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway merged with the Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1847Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Converted to standard gauge.
  /  /1847Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)
New better sited Glasgow terminus in Buchanan Street authorised. Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway proposed line abandoned. Proposed Garscube Road line abandoned.
  /  /1848Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Caledonian Railway given permission to buy land to expand Coatbridge [CR].
15/02/1848Caledonian Railway
Beattock to Glasgow (Townhead) (via the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) branch opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot, on its main line, are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.
  /  /1880Caledonian Railway
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Company wound up. Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway Company wound up. Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway - Greenock Guaranteed Company - wound up.
  /  /1900Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Authorisation to widen the railway between Gartsherrie South Junction and Coatbridge Central.
18/09/1904Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Widening additional lines opened at Gartsherrie South.
  /  /1915Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
New Gartsherrie South Junction signal box authorised.