The Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway terminus at Townhead by the Monkland Canal was extended over a swing bridge to Port Dundas Mid Wharf and on to Spiers North Wharf via a second swing bridge (still extant) to serve Port Dundas Chemical Works, Dundashill Distillery, Leith Wharf, Kirkcaldy Wharf, Rotterdam Wharf, City Flour Mills and Port Dundas Sugar Refinery.
This short extension was built to reach warehouses and a distillery at the western part of Port Dundas.
|/ /1844||Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
Port Dundas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Extension to Port Dundas authorised.
The branch runs west from the sidings by Tennent's Chemical works over the Monkland Canal and Forth and Clyde Canal by swing bridges to reach Spiers Wharf North. At its eastern end the connection was by means of a reversal.
These locations are along the line.
This is a disused single track swing bridge which carried the Port Dundas Branch (Caledonian Railway) over the Forth and Clyde Canal from north Port Dundas Mid Wharf over the canal to North Spiers Wharf. The span swung from its south end.
A long siding from St Rollox Depot (the Port Dundas Branch (Caledonian Railway)) terminated on North Spiers Wharf alongside the former Forth and Clyde Canal Company office, Port Dundas Sugar Refinery and City of Glasgow Grain Mills. Both were latterly used as bonded warehousing by the Argyll Bonding Company.