North Spiers Wharf

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

North Spiers Wharf (1847-1964)

Opened on the Port Dundas Branch (Caledonian Railway).


Description

A long siding from St Rollox Depot (the Port Dundas Branch (Caledonian Railway)) terminated on North Spiers Wharf alongside the former Forth and Clyde Canal Company office, Port Dundas Sugar Refinery and City of Glasgow Grain Mills. Both were latterly used as bonded warehousing by the Argyll Bonding Company.

The siding from St Rollox Depot crossed the canal by two swing bridges at Port Dundas to reach this point. One of these survives, Port Dundas Swing Bridge.

The track has been lifted and warehouses restored as flats.


Tags

Sidings canal basin

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map