Spiersbridge

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Spiersbridge (1848-1849)

Opened on the Spiersbridge Branch (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway).


Description

This was the terminus of a branch from Kennishead Junction, just west of Kennishead station. The branch briefly carried a passenger service, these stopping just to the north of the terminus. The service did not last long. The terminus was also known as Spiers Coal Depot.

The layout was approached from the north. There were two groups of sidings, those to the west were straight and those to the east turned from north to east on a sharp curve.

Various dams were close to the terminal. These provided the lade for the Thornliebank Dye, Print and Bleach Works which were to the north of the terminus and rail served. The passenger station was probably close to these works.

The coal yard expanded a little over the years. Street tramways came to serve the area, running north to Glasgow and west to Barrhead. Housing development did reach the area by the 1930s.

The branch closed in 1960. The site has been redeveloped.

03/09/2018

Tags

Station goods yard

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map