Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway

Introduction

This line is open, save for the original Glasgow Townhead terminus.

The line was renamed the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway when it was opened through from Gartsherrie to Whifflet via Coatbridge Central in 1844.






Dates

  /05/1826[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1831[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartgill station opened
  /  /1831[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Two locomotives provided by George Stephenson.
  /05/1831[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Line comes into use. The line is double track, 4ft6in gauge, and worked by both horses and locomotives.
01/06/1831[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Townhead opened
27/09/1831[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Glasgow Townhead to Gartsherrie opened officially.
  /  /1832[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartgill station renamed Gartsherrie.
  /  /1837[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Garnkirk station opened
  /  /1837[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartcosh station opened
  /  /1840[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Engine house (shed) opened at Gartsherrie. This two road through shed was to the north of Coatbridge station but the south of Summerlee Iron Works.
  /03/1842Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Line extended to Coatbridge station. This line later extended through to Whifflet and was used by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the Caledonian Railway to avoid the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway route through Coatbridge.
  /  /1843[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway renamed the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway for its extension to Coatbridge
  /  /1843[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Extended from Gartsherrie to Coatbridge, alternative date 1842.
  /  /1843[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Coatbridge station opened.
08/05/1843[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
A new passenger and goods service started. Called at; Morningside, Stirling Road, Overtown Road, Wishaw, Motherwell, Holytown, Carnbroe Iron Works and Coatbridge ([Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]). There was a through coach to Glasgow.
  /  /1844Mitchell & Neilson
Build locomotives for the [Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
  /07/1844[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Renamed Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway
  /  /1845[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Extended from Coatbridge to Whifflet
  /  /1845[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Whifflet station opened
01/01/1846[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway merged with the Caledonian Railway
  /  /1847[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Converted to standard gauge.
  /  /1849[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Glasgow Townhead to Milton Junction closed to passengers
01/11/1849[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Townhead station closed to passengers
01/11/1849[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Townhead closed to passengers.
  /  /1854Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
The [Caledonian Railway] opens the St Rollox Works between the original lines alignment and the new extension to Buchanan Street. The works built and maintained locomotives and rolling stock.
  /  /1860[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartsherrie engine shed closed on the opening of Motherwell shed. (1860s).
  /  /1870[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Villas start being built at Stepps
  /  /1882[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
St Rollox works extension opened.
  /  /1930[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Cardowan Colliery opened by line at Stepps
28/10/1940[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartsherrie station closed.
  /  /1948[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Coatbridge station renamed Coatbridge Central
07/03/1960[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Garnkirk station closed
  /  /1962Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
05/11/1962[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartcosh station closed.
05/11/1962[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Whifflet station closed.
05/11/1962[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartcosh Junction to Gartsherrie Junction closed to regular stopping passenger services.
03/09/1966Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
24/07/1968[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Glasgow Townhead to Milton Junction closed
24/07/1968[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Townhead (St Rollox West Goods) to St Rollox Works closed to goods.
30/11/1968Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Sighthill East Junction to Germiston Junction Low closed.
03/05/1976[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartcosh Junction to Gartsherrie Junction re-opened to passengers.
11/08/1981[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Freightliner terminal, Coatbridge, to Mossend yard electrified.
  /  /1987[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
British Rail Engineering Limited stop using St Rollox works. MC Metals continue to use the sidings for asbestos removal from stock.
04/10/1993[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Whifflet station opened
  /05/1999[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
Gartsherrie Signalbox closes - last signalbox in the Monklands.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.


This power station generated electricity for the Glasgow Corporation Tramways. It was located on the east side of the basin at Port Dundas and the west side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway where it entered Cowlairs Tunnel.
...

More details

This was the Glasgow terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway. It was on the north bank of the Monkland Canal just east of the Port Dundas Basin.
...

More details

This was an early passenger terminus in Glasgow opened in 1831.
...

More details

A shed and works existed on the east side of Glebe Street and north side of the railway close to the Glebe Street terminus. It was replaced by Inchbelly Works to the east.
...

More details

This mineral depot was east of Glebe Street (Pinkston Road) and approached from the east. The fan of lines was north of the Garnkirk line. Glebe Street Works was located by the street. To the south, over the railway, was the St Rollox Chemical Works. An extension of the works was built to the north of the goods depot. Waste material was deposited to the north.
...

More details


This locomotive shed and works was opened by the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway to replace a small shed and works at Glebe Street Works. The name is contrived, it was probably just known as the Glasgow shed and works of the Garnkirk company.
...

More details






This was the junction between the Milton Junction to St Rollox [1st] (the original terminus) line and The Switchback line south to Rutherglen. This curve closed in 1962.
...

More details

At this junction the lines from the original Glasgow terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway at St Rollox [1st] was met by the later line to the more suitable terminus at Glasgow Buchanan Street. The former also served the St Rollox Works.
...

More details
'Ahhh would you look at that Ted - some eejit's gone and dumped an old bridge in that field...' Not what it seems.. view of the the bridge ...
John Furnevel 01/04/2007
The Warren Truss bridge carrying the G&G line over the M80 motorway between Balornock and Robroyston, Glasgow. Looking north on a quiet Sunday morning ...
John Furnevel 18/04/2010

This was named Millerston Junction for one year. This controlled access to the station and yard at Robroyston.
...

More details

A new station is planned for Robroyston. Work started in September 2018. The new station will be built on the site of its predecessor with the car park on some of the former Robroyston Yard. It will be Glasgow's 60th station.
...

More details
The new Robroyston station is under construction. ...
John Yellowlees 08/05/2019
Work began on 12th September 2018 to construct the new Robroyston railway station, which will serve a development of 1,600 homes in the area around ...
ScotRail 12/09/2018
Glasgow-Inverness Express at Robroyston. C.R. 4-6-0 14653. Circa 1934. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1934
Glasgow-Aberdeen Express at Robroyston. C.R. 4-6-0 14655. Circa 1934. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1934

This junction predates the former Robroyston Yard to its west. This was the junction for a mineral line serving Robroyston Coal Pit, the branch being approached from the east.
...

More details

Looking east over the site of the first Stepps station in 1988, the second station was to open a year later at the distant road bridge. The first ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


This is a two platform station.
...

More details
Stepps could be in the Steppes for all the custom this Edinburgh service is attracting. Somebody got off though. ...
David Panton 22/06/2019
A Cumbernauld - Glasgow Queen Street train leaving Stepps station in July 2006. ...
John Furnevel 26/07/2006
Stepps when brand new in 1989. The view looks to Cumbernauld. This station is east of the original Steps Road station. The line has since been ...
Ewan Crawford //1989
170 470 with a service for Glasgow Queen Street about to leave Stepps on 30 August 2008. ...
David Panton 30/08/2008

This station had two platforms, the eastbound platform being an island with possibly a second face on its north side. The main station building and signal box were on the westbound platform.
...

More details

This is a modern minimal two platform station. It was opened in 2005 on the site of the previous Gartcosh station, closed in 1962.
...

More details
A Glasgow Queen Street to Falkirk Grahamston service enters a wet Gartcosh on 25 October 2018. These services are soon to be electrified and extended ...
David Panton 25/10/2018
A Falkirk Grahamston - Glasgow Queen Street service westbound, seen shortly after leaving Gartcosh station on 25 September 2007. [Ref query 19 June ...
John Furnevel 25/09/2007
A Falkirk Grahamston to Glasgow Queen Street service calls at Gartcosh on 2nd
...
David Panton 02/09/2017
66113 passing through Gartcosh with a Glen Douglas MOD to Mossend. ...
Alastair McLellan 13/12/2016

This is the junction between the line west to Glasgow via Stepps and east to Cumbernauld (to the north east) and Coatbridge Central (to the south east). The Cumbernauld route is double track, Coatbridge Central route single track.
...

More details
Gartcosh Junction and box in a view to the east. The Hayhill branch to Garnqueen North Junction curves off to the left and ahead is the route to ...
Bill Roberton 31/08/1985
The sun sets on Gartcosh Junction signalbox in 1999, not long before its final closure. ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
Rear view from a Cumbernauld-Springburn DMU passing Gartcosh Junction. Signalbox now demolished. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Gartosh Junction and Gartcosh steelworks. I was an employee of BSC at the time. Access by kind permission of British Steel Corporation. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987



This was the junction between the 1831 Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway and its 1843/5 branch to Coatbridge Central.
...

More details
66739 'Bluebell Railway' snakes through the realigned junction at Gartsherrie with the northbound Alcan Alumina tanks on 29th June 2019. ...
Alastair McLellan 29/06/2019
A view from the site of Gartsherrie North Junction looking to Gartsherrie South Junction.
...
Alastair McLellan 29/07/2017
A long girder bridge crosses the line to Glasgow at Gartsherrie. In the 1990s the bridge featured this graffiti which fans of Monty Python might ...
Ewan Crawford 03/05/1997
View east to Gartsherrie South Junction from Gartsherrie North Junction in 1989.

The Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway's 1831 alignment was a little ...
Ewan Crawford //1989

This station opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway just east of the junction formed with the opening of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway in 1831.
...

More details