Ballochney Railway

Introduction

This railway is closed.




Dates

  /  /1826[Ballochney Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1828[Ballochney Railway]
Leaend station opened
  /  /1828[Ballochney Railway]
Commonhead station opened?
  /  /1828[Ballochney Railway]
Rawyards station opened?
  /  /1830[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
[Ballochney Railway]
Garden Square, Village built at Leaend for Railway workers.
  /  /1835[Ballochney Railway]
Craigmaukin to Dykehead opened
  /05/1841[Ballochney Railway]
Dykehead to Darngarvil opened
  /06/1843[Ballochney Railway]
Dykehead and Darngarvil branch sanctioned by government
26/12/1844[Ballochney Railway]
Leaend station closed
26/12/1844[Ballochney Railway]
Hallcraig Street station opened (also known as Airdrie North goods)
28/10/1846[Ballochney Railway]
The rope of a self-acting incline breaks and a coal train and passenger train run downhill and collide at the single track at the foot of an incline.
27/07/1847[Ballochney Railway]
Converted to standard gauge
14/08/1848[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
[Ballochney Railway]
[Slamannan Railway]
[Monkland Railways]
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway merges with Ballochney Railway and Slamannan Railway to become Monkland Railways.
  /  /1900[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Calderbank Branch Junction and Brownieside Junction
01/05/1930[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
[Ballochney Railway]
Passenger trains cease on Ballochney Railway, last regular passenger train runs between Greenside Junction and Kipps Junction.
01/05/1930[Ballochney Railway]
Commonhead station closed
01/05/1930[Ballochney Railway]
Rawyards station closed
01/05/1930[Ballochney Railway]
Hallcraig St station closed
01/05/1930[Slamannan Railway]
[Ballochney Railway]
Manuel Low Level to Coatbridge (Greenside Junction) closed to passengers
  /  /1936[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Rawyards and Calderbank Branch Junction
01/09/1949[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Rawyards and Dykehead Junction
01/09/1949[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Dykehead Junction and Greengairs
01/09/1949[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Dykehead Junction and Ballochney Junction
01/09/1949[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Ballochney Junction and Ballochney Colliery
01/05/1956[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Commonhead and Rawyards
06/07/1964[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Kipps Junction and Commonhead
06/07/1964[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between Commonhead and Hallcraig Street (Airdrie North goods)
06/07/1964[Ballochney Railway]
Commonhead to Kipps Incline Foot closed to freight
18/08/1971[Ballochney Railway]
Kipps Incline Foot to Greenside Junction closed to freight
18/08/1971Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway Ballochney Railway
Greenside Junction (excluded) to Kipps Junction closed.
  /  /1984Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBallochney Railway
Area around Kipps Junction landscaped and remains of railway and steel works removed.
  /12/1985[Ballochney Railway]
Closed between new junction and Moffat Mills

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Kipps to Ballochney

From Kipps Junction to Ballochney Colliery.

This was the wagon works of the Ballochney Railway, on the west side of the Kipps Level Crossing. It was a timber building of one road, approached from east. It was located to the east of later Kipps Shed, which first apears on 1858/60 Ordnance Survey map.
...

More details

This was a junction which grew to serve numerous lines and yards.
...

More details


This open hearth steel works was located at Kipps, Airdrie. The works was fitted with three 40 ton open hearth furnaces. It produced steel billets.
...

More details

This was the incline foot for the lower Ballochney Incline (Commonhead Incline) which ran east to Commonhead and Rawyards. To the west was Kipps Junction.
...

More details

This location is considered to be the first station in, or rather near, Airdrie.
...

More details

This station was located between the upper and lower Ballochney Inlines on a short level section. It was at the junction between the Ballochney Railway and the Airdrie Branch Railway which ran to Airdrie Hallcraig Street.
...

More details


This was a single platform station located to the immediate east of a junction, level crossing and the Ballochney Incline. It was on the Ballochney Railway at the point of division between the lines to Clarkston (West Moffat) and Ballochney Colliery.
...

More details


This was the junction between the Ballochney Railway of 1828 and the Dykehead Junction of 1835. The original line was double track and branch single.
...

More details









Clarkston Branch

From Rawyards to Clarkston (West Moffat).

This was a single platform station located to the immediate east of a junction, level crossing and the Ballochney Incline. It was on the Ballochney Railway at the point of division between the lines to Clarkston (West Moffat) and Ballochney Colliery.
...

More details

This factory was opened on the north east edge of Airdrie at Rawyards in 1949 by Boots of Nottingham.
...

More details

This was a junction between the Ballochney Railway's Clarkston (West Moffat) branch of 1828 and the later Calderbank Iron Works Branch (Monkland Railways) of 1855. The lines here were single track.
...

More details

Clarkston (West Moffat) or (Wester Monkland) was a terminus. ...

More details