This 12 mile long railway is closed. It was an extension of the Ballochney Railway^s Whiterigg and Arbuckle branch at Airdriehill to further mining districts to the east. Initially called the Arbuckle Railway the line was extended further east ultimately reaching the Union Canal basin at Causewayend [SR], a total length of 14.25 miles.
|/ /1835||Slamannan Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
Ballochney Junction to Causewayend [SR] opened. Slamannan, Avonbridge, Bowhouse, Causewayend [SR] opened.
|/ /1841||Slamannan Railway|
|/ /1847||Strathavon Branch (Slamannan Railway)|
Approximate year of opening from Strathavon Branch Junction to Jawcraig Colliery.
Converted to standard gauge.
|/ /1848||Slamannan Railway|
|14/08/1848||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway merges with Ballochney Railway and Slamannan Railway to become Monkland Railways.
|/ /1850||Slamannan Railway|
|/ /1862||Slamannan Railway|
Longriggend, Blackston Junction opened. Arbuckle closed.
|/ /1893||Slamannan Railway|
Pits neighbouring the line, 16 at Jawcraig, Braidrigg, Limerigg and Stanerigg reach peak output.
|/ /1920||Strathavon Branch (Slamannan Railway)|
Approximate year of closure.
|01/05/1930||Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBallochney Railway
Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Coatbridge (Greenside Junction) (excluded) to Manuel Low Level (excluded) closed to passengers. Commonhead, Rawyards, Airdrie Hallcraig Street, Whiterigg stations on the Ballochney Railway closed. Longriggend, Slamannan, Avonbridge, Blackston Junction, Bowhouse, Causewayend [MR] [2nd] closed.
|/ /1940||Slamannan Railway|
Slamannan (excluded) to Avonbridge (excluded) closed to freight.
Rawyards (excluded) to Ballochney Junction to Slamannan closed to freight. (Requires checking.)
|/ /1960||Slamannan Railway|
Blackston Junction (excluded) to Bowhouse (excluded) closed to freight
Slamannan Junction Railway|
Closed from Bowhouse to Causewayend Junction to Manuel Brick Works (excluded).
Avonbridge to Blackston Junction to closed to freight.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
Also spelled Standrig.
This was initially a siding approached from the west and on the north side of the line.
This was a one platform station on a single track line. The platform was on the north side of the line to the east of a road overbridge.
This signal box was at the west end of a loop which ran east to North Monkland Junction. There were a considerable number of mineral lines in the area. The box was on the north side of the loop. This loop was one of many sections of the Slamannan Railway doubled. The line was on, approximately, a south west to north east alignment.
This station was about half a mile south of the village of Slamannan. In its final form [3rd] the passenger station and goods station were to the west of a level crossing, with Station Road. The single passenger platform was on the north side of the line with timber station building in North British Railway style. To the north of the passenger station was the goods yard, approached via a ...More details
This was the junction for the Strathavon Branch (Slamannan Railway) which ran north west to Strathavon Colliery, was extended on to Jawcraig Colliery and beyond that as a private line to iron ore pits at Garbethill.
This was a short lived halt between Slamannan station, to the west, and Avonbridge, to the east. The station not open with the line in 1840, it probably dated from around 1848. It closed in 1850 (some sources suggest 1849).
This was a single platform station on the south side of the line and west of a level crossing.
This was a station, junction and yard. The station consisted of a single platform on the south side of the line. The alternative spelling Blackstone was used in some timetables at varying dates.
This was a single platform station with three sidings. The platform was on the east side and built in timber. There was a stone built loading bank. The goods shed was in the yard, but not rail served.
The incline top was half a mile west of Causewayend.