Manuel Low Level (1866-1933)
Opened on the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway.
This was the low level of an interchange station. The station was to the north of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway embankment. There was an interchange with its Manuel High Level station.
The station did not open with the Bo'ness line, but shortly afterwards. There were no goods facilities and no public access, except by railway.
The station had an island platform with two faces, a bay on the west side and through line to the east. Graham Easton Langmuir, who used the station, described it as a dark and damp location. There was a station building on the platform.
To the north was Bo'ness Low Junction where a curve ran from north to west to join the main line at Bo'ness High Junction.
Portions of the platforms remain, built in brick.
The station is sometimes mistakenly shown as being south of the E&G embankment.
A note on pre-1866. It seems unlikely that an interchange existed here until 1866. Trains from Airdrie via the Slamannan Railway and Slamannan Junction Railway ran to Linlithgow from the opening in 1847. It is likely some secondary sources have taken junction names to be station names. Some form of interchange cannot be ruled out after 1851 but the formal advance announcement of a station was made in 1865. Note the lack of station in the 1863 OS map. Note in particular that an opening date of 1842 for a station here is unlikely for a remote location in a field nine years before the Bo'ness line even opened, particularly for a station apparently called 'Bo'ness Junction'.
Manuel High Level
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Bo^ness Low Junction
Manuel Bo^ness Junction Shed
Whitecross Brick Factory
Birkhill Fireclay Mine
Causewayend Engine House
Causewayend Incline Top
River Avon Aquaduct
Muiravonside Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|