Manuel High Level

Location type


Name and dates

Manuel High Level (1866-1967)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway.

Opened on the Slamannan Junction Railway.


This was largely an interchange station between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the routes to Bo'ness and Slamannan. There were three high level platforms, two on the main line and a bay at the west end of the westbound platform for trains to Blackston Junction and beyond. Manuel Low Level was below at the east end of the high level station. When opened there was very little housing nearby, but there was an access road which approached the eastbound platform from the east.

Bo'ness Junction box was at the west end of the westbound platform. There were yard sidings on either side to the west and a locomotive shed.

The box was replaced in 1933 with a new box combining its duties with those formerly of Bo'ness High Junction. The low level station formally closed at the same time.

The high level station closed in 1967. Engineer's sidings remain here, on the south side of the line, approached from the west.

A note on pre-1866. It seems unlikely that an interchange existed here until 1866. Trains from Airdrie via the Slamannan Railway and Slamannan Junction Railway ran to Linlithgow from the opening in 1847. It is likely some secondary sources have taken junction names to be station names. Some form of interchange cannot be ruled out after 1851 but the formal advance announcement of a station was made in 1865. Note the lack of station in the 1863 OS map. Note in particular that an opening date of 1842 for a station here is unlikely for a remote location in a field nine years before the Bo'ness line even opened, particularly for a station apparently called 'Bo'ness Junction'. Prior to opening the location was known as Myrehead, after a nearby farm.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67