Linlithgow

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Linlithgow (1842-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This is a two platform station. An original station building stands on the eastbound platform, a remarkable survivor. The building is two storeys, one seen from the platform. At its east end is a covered area. The west end of the eastbound platform is slightly cantilevered out over St Michael's Wynd.

There is a car park by the station, formerly the goods yard on the south side which was on a loop south of the westbound platform. The station is towards the east end of Linlithgow, south of Linlithgow Palace.

The signal box was on the south side of the line at the east end of the station. It was rebuilt in 1941.

The signal box was closed in 1979, absorbed by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.

To the east of the station is a loop on the north side and siding to the south.

West of the station the original cast iron footbridge at Well Wynd is C listed, along with the retaining walls on either side of the line. During electrification the walls were built up sympathetically with new stonework rather than be replaced.

To the west was Lochmill Siding, a goods yard at the west end of Linlithgow. Beyond is Avon Viaduct.

Local

Historic Environment - Linlithgow Palace is not far north west of the station.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Listing: C




Nearby stations
Linlithgow
Manuel Low Level
Manuel High Level
Manuel
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Kinneil [1st]
Causewayend [SR]
Birkhill
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
Bo^ness
Bo^ness [1st]
Kinneil
Philpstoun
Bowhouse
Bangour [Hospital]

Other railway and industry locations
Lochmill Siding
Avon Viaduct
Bo^ness Low Junction
Shale Mine
Champfleurie Oilworks
Linlithgow Oilworks
Manuel Bo^ness Junction Shed
Avonbank Viaduct
Bo^ness Junction
Tourist/other
Linlithgow Palace
Linlithgow Loch
Cockleroy Hill Viewpoint
Avon Aqueduct
Kinneil House
Watt^s Workshop Kinneil House
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.


Oldest Railway Photograph


The oldest railway photograph is considered to be the colotype taken by David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson in 1845 of Linlithgow station.

National Galleries - Linlithgow from station

The view is from the south of the station looking north west to Linlithgow Palace.


A second view also exists, taken further west.

National Galleries - Linlithgow from the railway station, with the Town Hall, St Michael's Church and the Palace in the centre background

The Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was engineered by John Miller, friend of D.O. Hill.


The John Miller connection continues. Another early photograph taken by Hill and Adamson is of John Miller's 1848 Ballochmyle Viaduct.

National Galleries - Ballochmyle Viaduct