This railway was closed but has largely been re-opened as the Boness and Kinneil Railway by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society. The curve to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was built as part of the original line although this is now achieved via a reversing spur on a similar alignment but requiring reversal.
|17/03/1851||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Causewayend to Boness opened
|07/05/1956||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Boness to Polmont (Boness Junction) closed to passengers
|19/07/1965||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Boness to Kinneil Colliery closed to freight
|19/07/1975||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Kinneil to Manuel Junction closed
|/ /1979||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Scottish Railway Preservation Society starts to build line at Boness
|/ /1981||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
New Boness station opened by Scottish Railway Preservation Society
|/ /1987||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Kinneil station opened by Scottish Railway Preservation Society
|/ /1989||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Birkhill station opened by Scottish Railway Preservation Society
|/ /1990||Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Scottish Railway Preservation Society completes Bo'ness line to Manuel Junction (A station was opened here and the line may be extended to join the Union Canal).
|/ /1995||[Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway]|
Scottish Railway Museum opens as the Scottish Railway Exhibition at Boness
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the junction between two arms of the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway. The line from the Bo'ness [1st] terminus ran south and divided here with a curve to the west going to meet the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Bo'ness High Junction and another route continuing under the E&G to Causewayend Junction. In its original state, before Manuel Low opened, both ...More details
Historically there was no station at Birkhill. This is a new station with old buildings. The main station building is from Monifieth and prior to reassembly at Birkhill was used at the Glasgow Garden Festival.
This was a small station to the north west of Kinneil. Due to misspelling in timetables it was also known as Kinniel.
This is the northern terminus of the Boness and Kinneil Railway (Preserved) (Boness and Kinneil Railway ).
This was largely an interchange station between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the routes to Bo'ness and Slamannan. There were three high level platforms, two on the main line and a bay at the west end of the westbound platform for trains to Blackston Junction and beyond. Manuel Low Level was below at the east end of the high level station. When opened there was very ...More details
This junction gave the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway access to the Bo'ness branch (Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway). Approach was from the west. Both lines were doubled with the branch dropping to single track after Bo'ness Low Junction. This layout dated from 1893 when a signal box ('Manuel High Level') opened here. The original 1851 connection was not direct but by ...More details