Historically there was no station at Birkhill. This is a new station with old buildings. The main station building is from Monifieth and prior to reassembly at Birkhill was used at the Glasgow Garden Festival.
The station has two platforms and a loop, the line is single track. Until relatively recently there was only one platform, with the building.
On the original line a box opened here in 1899 and closed in 1957. This box was on the west side of the line north of the station. A long siding (^Tod^s Mill Siding^) ran south from here to the Birkhill Fireclay Mine. The box was at the mid point of a loop.
Manuel Low Level
Manuel High Level
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
| Birkhill Fireclay Mine|
Bo^ness Low Junction
Bo^ness Junction [1st]
Manuel Bo^ness Junction Shed
Manuel Brick Works
Kinneil Slag Hill
Almond Iron Works
Grangemouth New Oil Terminal Awaiting Loading
Watt^s Workshop Kinneil House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1989||Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Birkhill station opened by Scottish Railway Preservation Society.