Birkhill Fireclay Mine (1880-1981)
Served by the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway.
This fireclay mine was to the west of Birkhill station and by the River Avon. It produced clay for heat resistant bricks. It consisted of several pits and had its own narrow gauge line bridge over the River Avon. It was operated by P&M Hurll.
A siding ran north from the loading point to a point north of Birkhill station, joining at a loop. A tramway ran to the mine itself.
(Opening date assumed.)
The Birkhill Fireclay Mine became a museum after closure. Unfortunately this has closed. Birkhill Fireclay Mine
Birkhill station on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway remains open nearby.
Manuel Low Level
Manuel High Level
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Birkhill Fireclay Mine
Bo^ness Low Junction
Manuel Bo^ness Junction Shed
Whitecross Brick Factory
Kinneil Slag Hill
Polmont East Signal Box
Watt^s Workshop Kinneil House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|